The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Dartmoor

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
hedgedruid
87 posts

Dartmoor
Jul 20, 2017, 12:20
visiting dartmoor for the first time , can anyone recommend must see sites ? or those hidden away spots with neolithic interest ?

many thanks
ironstone
62 posts

Re: Dartmoor
Jul 20, 2017, 15:23
Wow, where does one start? The place is stuffed with monuments, big as it is. Depends whether you want intrepid (ie rambling over miles of moorland) or convenient (close to a road). I wouldn't miss the following:-

White Moor (serious trek)
Greywethers
Scorhill
Yellowmead
Merrivale Stone Rows/circle
Lakehead Hill
Down Tor
Brisworthy/Ringmoor

I reckon that's enough depending on how long you've got and how far you want to walk. I'm sure others will have lots more. Have fun!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 20, 2017, 16:23
I think Ironstone has given a very helpful reply, one I've made note of as very much want to go back to Dartmoor. Have only visited once, briefly - while on a short walking break in south Devon about three years ago. I missed so much - did get to Wistman's Wood though, which is a must.

And this site, Grimspound - which is quite near a single track road.
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/16/grimspound_and_hookney_tor.html - a Bronze Age enclosed settlement, definitely worth a visit.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jul 20, 2017, 16:48
hedgedruid wrote:
..with neolithic interest ?

Did you mean just Neolithic or are you up for a bit of CA/BA action too?

Fernworthy and Assycombe are my recommendations.
hedgedruid
87 posts

Jul 20, 2017, 19:52
thank you
hedgedruid
87 posts

Jul 20, 2017, 19:54
thank you all very much lots of spots to visit busy week by the look of things , fingers crossed for some weather
Meic
23 posts

Jul 21, 2017, 23:04
Having spent 25 years tramping around Dartmoor, I would suggest that Little Hound Tor Circle (Whitmoor Circle), combined with the Cosdon Stone Rows are a must. Walk out from Shilstone Tor for the easiest route.
There are some great sites around Fernworthy - Fernworthy Circle, Grey Wethers double circle, Assycombe Row, Hurston Ridge Row.
Scorhill is easily accessable, as is Shovel Down.
The stone rows at Drizzlecombe are impressive,as is the nearby Yellowmeade cairn circles and short row.Then there's Brisworthy circle and Ringmoor Down.
I could go on and on - there really is so much to see. Definitely get yourself a copy of the OS 28 Dartmoor map.
How long are you going for ?
hedgedruid
87 posts

Jul 22, 2017, 21:18
thanks for the info , sadly only going for a week lol think i need a month , but looking for ward to it come rain or shine .
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited Jul 25, 2017, 22:32
Jul 24, 2017, 09:26
Went for a long weekend a week back - lovely place, you'll love it!

We went to Merrivale (stone rows and circle) which is right near the road and very easy to find, and Fernworthy and Greywethers. Fernworthy is on the way to Greyweathers - both are well worth the journey, but it is a bit of a walk.

If you go to Fernworthy/Greywethers, be aware that when you get to the car park at the reservoir you can carry on driving right up to the forest and park there - it would have saved us nearly an hour walking round the reservoir if we'd known! I'd take an ordnance survey map for these two.

Wistman's Wood might not be neolithic (although there is a stone at the end of the wood), but it is well worth a visit.

Have a great time!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jul 24, 2017, 09:52
You need a year...

Most of the sites mentioned are Bronze Age, but there are a few, mostly quite ruined, Neolithic chambered tombs/long barrows scattered about. Spinsters' Rock is the most well known (but not on the Moor itself).http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/8536/dartmoor.html

I think White Tor is a Neolithic settlement site.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index