Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Bache Hill Barrows.
Mar 17, 2017, 17:51
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortean_Times

Chainsaws sound less Fortean though. I admit to being lost in this discussion, there are no trees near the barrows on Bache Hill - the forestry is on Great Rhos/Black Mixen iirc.

What are you saying someone is doing and why do you think it's anything to do with druids?
Radnorlad
9 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 10:29
The lower barrow without the trig point on sits by the side of an old roadway, as you ascend from the barrow down the roadway we have some established trees on the right hand side, over the last couple of years the trees have been what we are calling vandalised. But in stages, first a 18ft tree was cut off in its middle for no apparent reason, then twelve months later it was cut off entirely had beaches cut off and they were laid all out in one direction on the heather & a cross cut into the tree stump, twelve months after that the entire tree that had been cut off was then moved and placed over the top of the branches pointing in the same direction, no mean feat as it is a big cut off tree.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 13:48
That sounds very weird and pointless, and very sad about the trees too. No idea why someone would do that, you must be annoyed (probably not a strong enough word).

Still not sure why you think it might be druids though? I thought they were keen on tree groves and natural order, although I don't really have any idea what druids believe in.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 16:15
ask a stupid question, it's not just to protect the barrow by stopping the tree growing into it (I can't quite work out how near it is), or to bring some sunlight to it, opening the canopy?

Cutting a cross into the stump would surely be to help it rot, I'm sure that's quite normal isn't it?

are they fir trees? I know in deciduous woods it's good to keep rotting wood piles for the benefit of Creatures, could that be the motivation?

sorry if this all sounds unlikely to you, it's only me making suggestions while not being able to visualise the scene so well.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 16:25
From what I can gather the trees are quite a long way down from the barrows - if you look at the pictures the top of Bache Hill where the barrows are is open heath.

But also it sounds like the person doing the chopping isn't the landowner.
Radnorlad
9 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 17:29
No the trees have been cut without permission & it looks pointless to us, it's some one else who mentioned Druid goings on as the tree work has always been carried out on phases of the moon or longest day or a certain date in October, you are right about the cross in the stump this is usually standard cuts for making the stump rot, it's all a bit weird really but would still like to meet up with the person who feels free to cut down property that does not belong to them, I am sure they would be pissed if I cut there garden hedge down or walked across their garden & cut a tree down, they are probably the same people who have vandalised the trig point marker by removing the brass centre that was cast into the concrete marker, why???
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 18:07
That is pretty shitty. Not sure that we're going to be much use to you here. I used to live just a few miles over the border from there in Herefordshire, but not for a long time now - I don't think there are any regular TMA contributors in that area who might know anything useful.

I guess the police aren't very interested?

As for the trig, could be the same people but a lot of them are starting to crumble now and also there are plenty of trig-baggers - maybe one of the less scrupulous might have fancied a souvenir. Sadly rural crime is on the rise, the village where I grew up is suffering from thefts and vandalism that would've been unthinkable a few years ago. Not that that's probably anything to do with your trees though.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 18:16
Guess there'll always be people trying to live out fantasies based upon unsubstantiated theories - that bloke who hangs around Stonehenge, for instance, the one who thinks he's a druid?

As long as you don't expect people to take you or what you do seriously... and, most importantly, don't inversely impact others, not a problem. Eccentricity is a British - or at least English - trait. However whoever are doing this woodcutting sound like they might need counselling, to be fair.

Having said that, it has to also be noted that most of the damage I've seen to upland monuments, in particular, has clearly most probably been undertaken by the landowner.
Radnorlad
9 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 21:18
Just to clear up on the landowner thing, we are not in that bracket I am afraid, we are big on heritage & history, hence why we are trying to find out why our land is being abused.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Mar 19, 2017, 00:00
Radnorlad wrote:
Just to clear up on the landowner thing, we are not in that bracket I am afraid, we are big on heritage & history, hence why we are trying to find out why our land is being abused.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index