The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Merger of heritage bodies: good or bad?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Merger of heritage bodies: good or bad?
Feb 06, 2017, 10:24
I've noted on TMA News that Welsh heritage bodies are against becoming one unit, as per HE and HS. Any opinions? It is something I know nothing about.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Merger of heritage bodies: good or bad?
Feb 06, 2017, 16:13
To be honest I was more worried about the pushing of CADW out of government control.

Personally I think English Heritage (who already went this way in England) are even now 100% commercially-minded, while Historic England (the governance bit of EH that has been left in government) is ever more toothless. Of course they get very little funding, while EH will spend its money on the cash-cow sites rather than on preservation and prevention.

I hope the Welsh government doesn't follow the English lead here, but the involvement of Simon Thurley to head up the considerations suggests that they probably will.
CARL
511 posts

Feb 07, 2017, 07:30
Simon Thurley being involved should be enough to worry everyone :(
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Feb 07, 2017, 08:35
CARL wrote:
Simon Thurley being involved should be enough to worry everyone :(

Yes, quite. After 16 years we decided not to renew our EH membership last year, partly because it's become an unaffordable luxury but partly because of how disappointing the split of functions and funding has been.

Had considered joining CADW instead, but will wait and see now.
CARL
511 posts

Feb 07, 2017, 12:44
A few years back there was a TV series about the 'behind the scenes' working of E.H. Simon Thurley was prominent throughout these episodes. In my opinion he did not come across in a particularly good light. I thought the way he spoke to his 'minions' was awful. I have since spoken to several E.H. staff who appear to have a similar view of their ex-boss.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index