The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Ancestry .

25 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Ancestry .
Feb 06, 2017, 12:28
I went along to MPPs lecture at Devizes on Saturday, 'Finding Beaker people', very enjoyable indeed.
I resisted asking 'Well, where did you last see them?'.
For the most part it was a welcome overview of recently published work (various authors) which
ultimately attempts to settle the question of Beaker migration v cultural 'take-on'.
He touched on various points, isotope work a-go-go of course - CE Beaker origins and movement NW, Iberia,
movement into and within britain (The peak district being particularly attractive to long distance walkers)
and, pertinent to this thread, he briefly mentioned results of some very recent DNA work and the 'disapperance'
of certain groups. This felt like a 'ta-da!' moment, but left us asking questions about it's significance.
Some stuff re long & round skulls (cradle boards, head binding),
stuff on tooth ware and diet, (prawn sandwiches off the menu),
some surprising (to me) stuff on BA vs Neo interpersonal violence, the end of large scale communal building,
some stuff on gold. (reminded of the 150,000 pieces in that dagger handle, unbelievable)
A monograph is due this year, pretty essential I think.

The tunnel was mentioned at the end, MPP favouring a bloody long one, starting and ending well beyond the WHS.
(Thats not Wh Smiths)
He said something simple which struck a chord - what is the point of having a WHS if it means people can come
along and rip it to pieces?
I quite agree.
(Quick typing - work)

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index