Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2017, 20:45
Re: Well-being
Feb 05, 2017, 20:42
Likewise re the last few words. Am a bit feverish due to damn head lurg at mo, may be babbling too much in all forms. Sorry any peeved. Pity the one archaeo thing I'd LOVE to babble about with absolute justification - and sod the kudos here - is something I can say f*k all about. Mebe never. May be exacerbating 'babble mode' too, I guess. Sp****r is e x c i t e d. If I could say it would be totally understood. But don't ask cos wasted breath. As a result of a tipoff following showing an extant TMA pic I've located something else today under t'moss. Totally, utterly flabbered. Even went boohoo after finding something very late yesterday (after dark, under a bush, by touch, no torch...that one's getting m y name on it in some small print somewhere, stamps foot but smiling...but it's 'theirs' still really, I was just allowed a peek. T a). 'Paper' stuff that can't be in papers. I never, ever question some things, just give absolutely sincere thanks. Am in very interesting times, primal, strange ones perhaps.....things on some levels could be a f*ck of a lot worse. Quite happy, really. Back atcha from an incompetent, daffy, babbly fieldwalker and jammy and/or very dogged, driven and privileged bugger : D (np Tyrannosaurus Rex - By The Light Of A Magical Moon)(pfft)
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Well-being - River Sources
Feb 05, 2017, 21:31
Variance upon the theme are the sources of our rivers... ranging from dramatic mountain tarns set below soaring cliff faces (e.g the Dovey) to small patches of muddy bog giving birth to the mighty Severn and Wye upon Pumlumon
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Feb 05, 2017, 22:28
Agreed..and, iirc, some have stones around or sites very nearby: river source raison d'etre? Can't cite examples right this sec, but seen to recall one down south getting a mention about a year ago, praps tjj/Moss? Pic of source justified in this perhaps rare instance? Am not against. Wouldn't clutter the place tooo much, methinks.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Feb 06, 2017, 08:50
spencer wrote:
Agreed..and, iirc, some have stones around or sites very nearby: river source raison d'etre? Can't cite examples right this sec, but seen to recall one down south getting a mention about a year ago, praps tjj/Moss? Pic of source justified in this perhaps rare instance? Am not against. Wouldn't clutter the place tooo much, methinks.

Can't think of any, water is both practical and 'religious', think of the Celts and their gods. The Fen offerings in the water, the Welsh Llyn Cerrig Bach water offerings. And then their is the Kennet/Cunetio river that winds away from Silbury. The Swallowhead is sanctified now, and presumably its habit of coming and then disappearing is 'magical' so became a special place.
Water disappearing, like for instance the swallets on the Mendips, is also magical.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Feb 06, 2017, 10:14
Feb 06, 2017, 10:06
I realise I've said some enigmatic things of late. This has to continue. What I can say is that, unfortunately being able to cite any examples, sorry George, needs must, I really am as sure as can be that the belief system of a tribe in my area was water based. The sound of it flowing may well have been of great significance. They, like we s h o u l d be today, were, on occasion or probably as a 'given', sensualists, in my opinion, very aware of and respectful to the environment in which they lived. I view them on a fundamental level as our superiors. Never, ever, underestimate our ancestors. By doing so you may have a greater chance of finding traces of them today. They have my absolute respect in turn.
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Edited Feb 06, 2017, 10:21
Feb 06, 2017, 10:21
spencer wrote:
I realise I've said some enigmatic things of late. This has to continue. What I can say is that, unfortunately being able to cite any examples, sorry George, needs must, I really am as sure as can be that the belief system of a tribe in my area was water based. The sound of it flowing may well have been of great significance. They, like we s h o u l d be today, were, on occasion or probably as a 'given', sensualists, in my opinion, very aware of and respectful to the environment in which they lived. I view them on a fundamental level as our superiors. Never, ever, underestimate our ancestors. By doing so you may have a greater chance of finding traces of them today. They have my absolute respect in turn.

Just as an aside, your words made me think of a book I've been more pondering on than reading for the past year. I'm reading it in dribs and drabs: conceptually, it's very interesting. The comments in this link are worth reading...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48582.The_Spell_of_the_Sensuous
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 06, 2017, 11:15
[quote="spencer"]What I can say is that, unfortunately being able to cite any examples, sorry George, needs must, "

What are you apologising about ?

"I'm really am as sure as can be that the belief system of a tribe in my area was water based. "
Any reasons why you are so convinced ?

"The sound of it flowing may well have been of great significance. "
Which entails it may no thave been

"They, like we s h o u l d be today, were, on occasion or probably as a 'given', sensualists, in my opinion, " Is it not the case that sensualists are found in all periods ?

"very aware of and respectful to the environment in which they lived. "

Being aware of your environment is necessary for survival , it is found in all periods and situations , damaging that environment is not restricted to the far more powerful , it is a feature of the species too , including those less capable of causing damage to it .

"Never, ever, underestimate our ancestors."
You may as well say never ever overestimate your ancestors . Underestimate in regard to what ?

" By doing so you may have a greater chance of finding traces of them today."

You can't avoid having traces of your ancestors , it's your genetic inheritance ,whether you like it or not .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 06, 2017, 11:22
Just as an aside, your words made me think of a book I've been more pondering on than reading for the past year. I'm reading it in dribs and drabs: conceptually, it's very interesting. The comments in this link are worth reading...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48582.The_Spell_of_the_Sensuous [/quote]

Merleau -Ponty opened a lot of doors . Sadly the term associated with him and Husserl was misappropriated by some archaeologists to produce a lot rambling guff . If you are interested in embodiment in relation to the environment , can I suggest Tim Ingold ,who is "good to think with " .
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Feb 06, 2017, 11:40
Thank you. Noted, and I'm browsing now.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Feb 06, 2017, 12:27
Feb 06, 2017, 12:26
"very aware of and respectful to the environment in which they lived......"

Aware, yes, but not necessarily respectful, it's just that we can wreck it on a bigger scale.

"on a fundamental level as our superiors."

Nah, I'm not having that, though it's often said. I wouldn't want my daughter to marry a neolithic farmer.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index