Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Has your fresh find report REALLY been noted?

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Edited Jan 30, 2017, 23:33
Has your fresh find report REALLY been noted?
Jan 30, 2017, 23:25
I have had confirmation from an impeccable archaeological source this evening that confirms my initial suspicion that a site I added to TMA early last year, More Hall, was NOT added to the local authority or any other database, despite the original finder reporting it correctly. A layman, very respected and conscientious, well known to the local authority for good works, eg ensuring access and right to roam, did the responsible thing and was ignored by another department of the same authority. I added it to TMA. It still is the only place where it is recorded. Sad fact. Fortunately, I will be visiting the correct office following invitation next week concerning finds that I have made. More Hall and others W I L L now be logged and protected as a consequence. More Hall at present has half a tree on it. See pix. That may now go. There may even be a sign (!)Those who have made reports of their own should NOT assume that it has been acted upon. They should go back to the body they reported them to and get official w r i t t e n documentary evidence. Somebody here has, iirc, made 650+ rock art finds... btw, such a pity so few would seem to be on TMA : ( - me, I wouldn't care about a pretty picture, just a site listing on TMA and a grid reference, that'd do. Personal opinion. Unless they are totally, totally happy that this has happened, ie are in the possesion of written documentary evidence with a reference number for the site, they should now find themselves rather busy, unfortunately, even if it may mean visiting here less for a while while this I hope they'd agree necessary task is ongoing. Otherwise, what was the point? So, to ANYONE: come on, don't be shy or bashful, if anyone ever finds something - (proviso:- that officialdom says it is safe to do so: personal experience here now - sorry, I cannot prove it) - FLAUNT IT. Only it will n o t be flaunting it really, just a turn of phrase. Just GET IT OUT THERE, OK? ANYONE. Yes, mine a r e coming to TMA - first - when I buy new tech. And, apart from getting it out there, GET IT LOGGED AND GET AUTHORITATIVE PROOF OF IT. Me: I get a site visit. Fortunately l've known the right professional bod - (met as a result of my first reported find: not in TMA timeframe : ( ) - now, due to further reports, bods, times three. You k n o w it makes sense. Or should. So get on with it asap IF that hasn't happened like it should, in fact, MUST. And get what you can up here. Sod kudos. I've a pseudonym. My real kudos is nil. However much I may find. Fine by me. 650+ rock art finds (as a random example). Zero kudos here, however many up. So what ??? Do the helpful and responsible thing, ANYONE. Broadcast. Don't sit on it. S o m e b o d y will want to look. And, btw, a site is a site is a site. Tiny rock, big heap of stones: one TMA entry. Including that Japanese tourist attraction on Salisbury Plain. Bye! (pfft)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2017, 08:33
Re: Has your fresh find report REALLY been noted?
Jan 30, 2017, 23:55
To clarify . All the rock art sites that you mention ,and any other non RA finds , have been recorded and logged with the appropriate authorities with full descriptions ,10 figure grid refs and pics .

Edit

I have just noticed your mention of your illness Spencer .
It sounds awful ,hope things improve soon . Good to see that have retained a sense of humour , which can only be helpful .Simple stuff , like humour and a good long knackering walk work wonders eh?
Keep well .
All the best .
G x
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jan 30, 2017, 23:59
Sorry, forgot, the database archaeobod checked for More Hall was the online database of the South Yorkshire Archaeology Service. Haven't checked myself, sounds like something that should be in the public domain. I trust archaeobod, who seems a nice man, even if he does like crap beer. Sorry, felt I had to provide this evidence as duty, not because I'm afraid that someone might think I'm paranoid or trying to stir things up. Hari Krishna. So: if anyone finds More Hall there now after all, I'm Chinese. I really hope that soon after next week - my professional evaluator will take great umbrage if his opinion is not noted, and I have retained a copy - More Hall will be. Only perhaps twenty five years later than it effing should have been. Or I may, er, do something. Which is better than fuck all (discuss)... (pfft)
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 00:06
ooops! Politically incorrect (blush) ahem: The Chinese: a great bunch of lads. Ho Chi Minh: wonderful chap. Fu Man Chu: Dundee's finest (pfft)
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 01:03
I am not advocating stopping, George, precisely the opposite. The more the merrier on TMA. I really mean that sincerely. Thank you for your information. I believe you. You may frame that three word sentence. It sounds like you have done a very thorough job. Well done. Others should note: to repeat - do it properly or do not do it at all. It is the only way. This, as a consequence of what I discovered, means double checking, preferably to a high level. It would seem that in the past there has been an inefficient numpty in my area. Having encountered the present incumbent verbally, facially soon, I am absolutely confident that this is not the case now, despite the AWFUL funding for public bodies archaeological services countrywide currently. Thank 'above' for that my way. Elsewhere: pass. I remain worried on that level, and I seriously recommend anyone who may read this who has reported things previously to at least question the body they reported it to re o n e site, just as a litmus. Alarm bells may ring. I hope not. My original finder chap for More Hall has reported loads. I am now wondering what else may be still officially unrecorded despite his very best and competent efforts. I will try to put what I can right...he's a good man and, after I told him mine, he's now telling me his finds for which I am most grateful - on TMA they'll have his name on them, as per - enabling me, as and when I can, to bring their logging my way up to the standard required today, inc GPS. He cannot physically revisit some in rough terrain now, sadly. Touch wood, I will. I did not envisage being in the position to do so, serendipity and a recent find report has, and I will do my best too. You can only do that... Well done, George for going out there and looking. That is commendable. For anyone. I hope you agree...you may go for ages and find bugger all. Sadly, so few seem to even try, even in the Peak. Visiting existing sites, yes. To those that do not: eschewing those sites and walking up and down is not necessarily boring. Listen to the birds. Use headphones if you need other sounds. Whatever. You may even find you enjoy it. As a byproduct I lost almost two stone. Nuff said?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 08:41
Yep realised that you weren't telling me to stop Spencer .

Headphones ? aggghh , can't abide them .
I never had a walkman or the more recent incarnations .
I do have a Roland R-O5 but that's for recording bird song (even cuckoos , they change the pitch of the "cuckoo " ((as much as a whole tone )) through spring to summer ) ,and only ever listen back when at home .
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2017, 09:51
Jan 31, 2017, 09:44
spencer wrote:
... Sorry, felt I had to provide this evidence as duty, not because I'm afraid that someone might think I'm paranoid or trying to stir things up .....

Spencer, just wanted to apologise to you for using the word 'paranoid' in a previous comment on a different topic. It's a word that gets bandied about too often when the person in question is maybe just angry. Which we are all entitled to be from time to time.
All the best
J
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 10:29
I've taken flints i've found, good examples, blades, scrapers, cores (along with location info) to the PAS, and they've kept them for a couple of days to record and then given them back to me but i'm not sure they were recorded.
Never seen them listed on the site. I know it can take a while for info to be put onto the system, but we're talking over 5 years ago.
I've always wondered if they were recorded.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2555 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 10:55
Like George, I put all my stuff to the appropriate places and its always been recorded to the best of my knowledge. Some of them phone up asking me to look for stuff which isn't a problem.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 31, 2017, 11:04
They only record a proportion these days but I don't think that policy applied 5 years ago so it might be worth asking them what happened. Naughty not to keep finders in the loop, discourages further reporting.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index