38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jan 22, 2017, 13:54
Re: Finds proceedure advice
Jan 22, 2017, 12:21
Sure. Just search for More Hall on TMA. Disregard my flowery prosed fieldnotes, which are, in part, bollocks, and will be corrected soon.. I would have amended them many months ago, but in doing so my giving original finders credit could have been interpreted by the gentleman concerned as a belated ingratiation prior to face to face introduction by a very helpful intermediary which has now occured. Neither of us are, in a way, over gregarious, I think. He has notified the correct people of a fair few, but follow up site visits are of an unknown number. More Hall was indubitably notified. Judge for yourself from my fieldnotes what practical impact that had. I have seen his photographs, and these are not possible sites, but definite. It is the comprehensive followup including digital photography and fieldnotes that had to happen now, and notification or renotification if information has not been sufficiently absorbed. My inclination based on More Hall, is to start from scratch. Not his fault. As for site visits, I know that, for example, the Peak Park's archaeological field survey work has effectively ended through lack of funds, a tragically widespread phenomenon currently, and only sites at risk are investigated, and outside companies do any digging prior to say, roadworks, this work, I think, funded by the developer. I do hope, however, to be able to get a hugely experienced retired professional to run an eye over at least some of what I refind or find if his family commitments etc permit, but everything, without exeption, will be properly notified, and my question, which was the subject of this topic, was advice regarding divulgence criteria. I know and will follow the means of notification. I read in TMA news last autumn of your many rock art discoveries, 650+ iirc, and am interested in what criteria you have used when deciding which to enter on TMA and which not to.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index