I would just like to say...

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2017, 02:11
I would just like to say...
Jan 15, 2017, 00:56
...that I think there are a lot of really, really fine photos being uploaded to TMA at the moment..and, repeating what I suggested a while back, that I wish that the likes of these, plus some of the many equally fine, personal, detailed and idiosycratic fieldnotes for sites old and new by contributors, some now gone from us, were collected together in a practical, useable sized and durable book as a response to Julian's spark, to be published to commemorate and coincide with the hopefully upcoming twentieth anniversary of TMA. A physical, utilitarian record that we, and this website, have been. These things take time and care. Such an undertaking should be started now. That is all.
carol27
747 posts

Re: I would just like to say...
Jan 15, 2017, 18:34
I agree, I'd buy it. There have been some spectacular pics & posts recently. I don't comment enough but they're much appreciated. I'd particularly like my bits in print..joke. Seriously it'd be a great tome.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 19:18
Not t h a t hard to compile either..just look at the fave sites visited for each year forum topics for a start. As long as there's a foreward adequately explaining the methodology, what the book is and what it isn't. Sure, an extensive list of sites at the back covering all extant categories. Some may differ, fair enough, but as for those given greater space within, I'd personally go for the egalitarian 'size is not important' approach. Vibe and enthusiasm paramount. Stonehenge would n o t get six pages, just an equal entry to, say, Sunhoney, and those little cairns out in the sticks beloved of G and SC etc would be given ample space too. I, for one, would be quite happy to help by doing some browsing back for a start. One for the armchair folk too. 'You take this county and you take that'. One prerequisite: that they care and can view the end result from a purchaser and reader's perspective as well as know. A book not for the coffee table, unless there was a specific variant for that market, but more a field companion for a rucksack or larger pocket. Something to inspire.
CARL
511 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 19:56
I would buy it! :)
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2017, 21:27
Jan 15, 2017, 21:27
I don't think I've mentioned this before, but there's a ward in our hospital called Avebury Ward. Simon, who named the ward used to work there and took some amazing B&W photos of Avebury stones. There's pics in the hospital library. Simon lives 200 metres up the road from me. I'll pop in and ask him if he has any more next week. Probably millions. He's a Cope head too.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 22:34
You never know, he may have been or is on the forum/site proper already under another name
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2017, 22:44
Jan 15, 2017, 22:43
spencer wrote:
You never know, he may have been or is on the forum/site proper already under another name

He was yonks ago. Not now. He plays golf every day these days. Simon wrote some rather interesting books. I have no idea why. He just did. Pretty good too.

Simon Brighton - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simon-Brighton/e/B0034NVRB6
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2017, 23:22
Jan 15, 2017, 23:11
I reckon a fair few would..and enjoy reading about nights in a Ford Focus, Daffyd and Sophie, being chased by animals and humans, and the total unbridled enthusiasm of fieldnotes of not necessarily hugely archaeologically learned people encountering these remnants of our past....plus there really are some bloody good pix. If others think another approach is best fair enough: this is just my tuppenceworth, but I think s o m e t h i n g should come of all the miles folk have done, and there could be a very positive result, or in publisherspeak, end product. Yup, of course accurate directions to all featured sites, grid refs, blah...but a 'human' tome, and a response to JC's initial labour of love and journey of discovery..which, ulp, I must come clean about: I've yet to hold one, let alone read. I know its there, and one day....but I have gone my own way, usually looking on maps then, sometimes, referring to the website pre visit. Canmore's almost always subsequent. I don't read textbooks but do read online and watch a hell of a lot of the relevant telly. Most of such time I have, limited by six day work March-Dec, I'm fieldwalking, just following map hunches and visual clues, as opposed to visiting known sites. If that's 'odd', probably fair comment. Someone's gotta be :) Anyway, if this blather's got anyone going 'hmm, maybe there's the germ of something,.' then great. Just throwing an idea up into the e-ether, seeing where it lands, stony ground or fertile and yes, now really shutting up.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index