The lost sounds of Stonehenge ...

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

The lost sounds of Stonehenge ...
Jan 07, 2017, 00:07
"... Stonehenge is a ruin. Whatever sound it originally had 3,000 years ago has been lost but now, using technology created for video games and architects, Dr Rupert Till of the University of Huddersfield has - with the help of some ancient instruments - created a virtual sound tour of Stonehenge as it would have sounded with all the stones in place."

Interesting little video clip in link below was shown on our local news programme, Points West, earlier this evening.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38530755
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: The lost sounds of Stonehenge ...
Jan 07, 2017, 08:44
Not a lot of detail but Rupe has got form on this ,hopefully he will have improved upon his earlier understanding from 6 years ago .
Needless to say using the Maryhill building as the basis is hardly helpful ,when it is not assured as being a true representation of the original monument . i.e. "all the stones in place " is a euphemism for let's imagine it looked like this , when we don't really know .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jan 07, 2017, 09:09
Jan 07, 2017, 09:07
I remember standing by Silbury and being amazed by a massive low rumbling, which turned out to be people drumming inside WKLB. Stonehenge would be far less effective presumably because of the shape.

I liked this: "an app which will help people blot out the sounds - including those made by tourists, and cars on the nearby A303 - and go back to the soundscape of 3,000 years ago." What's the betting EH will buy it and suppress it? The road noise is their main excuse for supporting the short tunnel project.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 07, 2017, 09:09
I don't think they'll ever stop claiming this and that about Stonehenge until they are finally able to prove it is the Birthplace of Humanity! :-)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 07, 2017, 09:36
The publicity seems to be more concerned with flogging the app than highlighting the findings of a new paper . Which is probabaly just as well considering the fankle he got himself into in the last one .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 07, 2017, 09:42
fankle

Scottish verb
fankle; 3rd person present: fankles; past tense: fankled; past participle: fankled; gerund or present participle: fankling

entangle.

Cheers for that. ;)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 07, 2017, 10:25
nigelswift wrote:
fankle

Scottish verb
fankle; 3rd person present: fankles; past tense: fankled; past participle: fankled; gerund or present participle: fankling

entangle.

Cheers for that. ;)

Thanks for the translation .

I think the verb comes from Fank : coil /tangle of rope , rather than Fank:sheep pen .
The image it conjures up is being confused / all mixed up .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jan 07, 2017, 12:14
Hurkle-Durkle is one of my favourites.
I could easily indulge in it on a weekday morning.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 07, 2017, 13:50
Wasn't that a David Bowie album?
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jan 07, 2017, 14:06
Jan 07, 2017, 14:03
Irresppective of whether Stonehenge was a case in point, and with reference to the comment below about hearing the sound of drumming coming from WKLB, the hypothesis that our forebears created, on occasion, places with a deliberate auditory element to them, or utilised caves and other geological features with that facility remains valid. They were very probably greater sensualists than we are, to our detriment, appreciating what the natural world had to offer, be it sound or visual, for example auroras or the sun and moons reflections in water filled cup or bullaun stones. We should recognise, appreciate and respect that, and not deride.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index