Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney

Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
747 posts

Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
Jan 14, 2017, 21:17
tomatoman wrote:
I encountered him a few years ago filming at Housesteads Fort.........couldn't get near him for the gaggle of female fans!

Not my type, I'm still in lust with JJ Burnel, but I do think he makes interesting programmes...now Alice Roberts...:)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 14, 2017, 21:23
carol27 wrote:
tomatoman wrote:
I encountered him a few years ago filming at Housesteads Fort.........couldn't get near him for the gaggle of female fans!

Not my type, I'm still in lust with JJ Burnel, but I do think he makes interesting programmes...now Alice Roberts...:)

Oi - hands off...she's mine :-)
carol27
747 posts

Jan 14, 2017, 21:37
Sanctuary wrote:
carol27 wrote:
tomatoman wrote:

Oi - hands off...she's mine :-)

Get down Shep:)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 14, 2017, 23:07
I doubt that you would have used bone or know of any examples where it was used in similar circumstances , because of the problems mentioned previously .

Deposits of bone , are found at the surface as well as other depths .
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2017, 00:35
Jan 15, 2017, 00:31
I thought that you only had hands for Bettany, yet you now seem to have Alice in your grasp too : o They must be v e r y big. Or have you experienced a wobble in your affections?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 07:36
spencer wrote:
I thought that you only had hands for Bettany, yet you now seem to have Alice in your grasp too : o They must be v e r y big. Or have you experienced a wobble in your affections?

Well I knew you were very much into Bettany (in your dreams) so I thought I'd stand aside and support Alice :-)
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2017, 09:54
Jan 15, 2017, 09:18
Sex symbols in the digging and anthropological world. Would you believe it. It could get mucky. All that talking about bone!

Neil's Coast stuff is brill. The Australian one was especially good.

Urth! He's the only Scottish person I know who pronounces earth as urth. Fair play son, fair play!
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 10:20
Fair enough, Roy...thank you for explaining your gentlemanly methodology. I shall likewise dutifully support Bettany in whatever way she needs, Sir.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 11:08
As we have seen so far it would seem that the folk on Orkney 'traded' with the Mainland, or at least suggested that cattle and goods were sent across by boat for other reasons.

The skin covered type of boat featured, as wonderful as it was, would not be up to carrying cattle or goods and the increased manpower unless made of sterner stuff and much larger. As it was suggested that there was a great shortage of trees do you think it more likely that traders sailed from the Mainland to Orkney and brought cattle and goods back with them rather than the other way around? I'm assuming they had far more timber there for making more substantial boats but stand to be corrected on that point.
Although the boat featured was brilliant surely that type of construct would be more likely to be used closer to shore for fishing maybe?

What does the team think?
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2017, 12:03
Jan 15, 2017, 11:21
Possibly ask the people who actually live there. They must be fed up being a marginal curiosity!

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/

Well, you really should!
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index