Orkney »
Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney

Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 113 14 15 16 17 18 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CARL
511 posts

Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
Jan 17, 2017, 16:40
Whilst they were messing about with the car I turned to my better half and said I would have just crawled in with a torch. It had been standing for thousands or years - it was unlikely to fall down at that precise moment! (It's not as if the shaft was that long anyway) In my opinion the editor seemed to want to incorporate unnecessary 'drama/suspense' into what was already an interesting site. Perhaps it was to try to appeal to a wider / younger audience? The 3 episodes would have made 2 cracking episodes - only requiring Neil to front it.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 17, 2017, 20:32
Jan 17, 2017, 20:25
Watched it earlier this evening Carl. I need to go back and re-watch some of the more important archaeological bits. The wild cattle on Swona was surprising (always knew cattle had the potential to revert).
I wish they had left the mock sweat-house bit out. Andy Torbut running into the sea displaying his hairless chest was sort of embarrassing to watch.

Rhiannon: Have you read Chris Packham's autobiography Fingers in the Sparkle Jar - not an easy read as non-linear and surreal at times, his passion for wildlife as a kid resulted in him being isolated and bullied.
carol27
747 posts

Jan 17, 2017, 21:26
tjj wrote:
Watched it earlier this evening Carl. I need to go back and re-watch some of the more important archaeological bits. The wild cattle on Swona was surprising (always knew cattle had the potential to revert).
I wish they had left the mock sweat-house bit out. Andy Torbut running into the sea displaying his hairless chest was sort of embarrassing to watch.

Rhiannon: Have you read Chris Packham's autobiography Fingers in the Sparkle Jar - not an easy read as non-linear and surreal at times, his passion for wildlife as a kid resulted in him being isolated and bullied.

Chris Packham has talked about his Aspergers in the past. He's brilliantly focussed.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 17, 2017, 23:39
Aaaaaaaaaagh. My mate invited me round for a jar or three last night. I readily agreed, and got pleasantly merry. I was less so when I found out I'd missed the third episode too : ( : ( : ( hi ho..anyway, a question. Or two. Has the origin of the Orkney vole been determined now? Have there been any artifacts from far flung and unexpected places been discovered..if so, what? Have any artifacts from such places of contemporary date been found elsewhere on Orkney, or Shetland for that matter...or, indeed, in Denmark?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2017, 06:48
Jan 18, 2017, 06:45
Still haven't seen it either, but I'm sure someone will fill you in, will watch today sometime and gather my thoughts. Scottish islands don't half sink into your soul as do little immigrant voles ;)

edit; which should go in answer to Spencer above, who was out drinking and missed it!

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=75527&message=946293
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 18, 2017, 09:34
spencer wrote:
Aaaaaaaaaagh. My mate invited me round for a jar or three last night. I readily agreed, and got pleasantly merry. I was less so when I found out I'd missed the third episode too : ( : ( : ( hi ho..anyway, a question. Or two. Has the origin of the Orkney vole been determined now? Have there been any artifacts from far flung and unexpected places been discovered..if so, what? Have any artifacts from such places of contemporary date been found elsewhere on Orkney, or Shetland for that matter...or, indeed, in Denmark?

Re the vole - Belgium would appear to be the favourite.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkney_vole
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 18, 2017, 11:22
That figures, to me.... I'm reading and thinking thoughts. Any mention of date of abandonment or sea level change or contemporary global climatic events? In my opinion if you want to understand history you must have an interdisciplinary approach...and that includes not dismissing legend and oral history out of hand.
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Jan 18, 2017, 11:44
spencer wrote:
That figures, to me.... I'm reading and thinking thoughts. Any mention of date of abandonment or sea level change or contemporary global climatic events? In my opinion if you want to understand history you must have an interdisciplinary approach...and that includes not dismissing legend and oral history out of hand.

I now have a lovely image in my mind of shoals of selkies carrying voles on their backs.

:-)
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 18, 2017, 11:56
Hic : ) (no, I don't much, btw.....and think I may have had quite a brainwave, when sober. Back atcha in a bit, mebe, he tapped, conspiratorially...)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 18, 2017, 12:28
spencer wrote:
Hic : ) (no, I don't much, btw.....and think I may have had quite a brainwave, when sober. Back atcha in a bit, mebe, he tapped, conspiratorially...)

I just love Scottish islands, it is a bit like going to the moon and watching a fascinating landscape unfurl...

Well have just watched it, and probably need to watch it again. It was very good I loved the juxtaposition of Skona island abandonment 40 years ago by the islanders reflected in the Neolithic. The now wild herd of cattle that live there, led by a 'sacred' white cow, she isn't of course but the cows clustered around the calves protecting them, the three males in the distance, showed an ability to be able live without the hand of man interfering all the time.

Natural stone circle underneath the sea did not lead anywhere, but it is wise to remember that the so called land bridge called Doggerbank, think it was bigger than Wales was inhabited for a good time and there is still so much to learn from there

Westray (Links of Notland) tunnel and sauna, can't be doing with 'ritual' all the time, just loved the tunnel it brought back memories of Stoney Littleton Barrow, the beautiful building of stone enclosures and passageways, whereas the modern sauna looked like a grouse butt on the Yorkshire moors round here. Experimental stuff though needs to be done and the sauna worked.

Sanday; What marvellous islands, another theory that weather is the cause of people moving on, the encroachment by sea as the waters got higher, sand slowly piling around the settlements.

Famous words by the archeologist; "It doesn't seem to hang together at all" those words nearly at the end explains it all to me. They had just discovered what just might be tall stones beneath the buildings on the Ness of Brodgar, could it be an earlier stone circle, and so it hangs on suspense till they come back this summer season and root about a bit more.
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 113 14 15 16 17 18 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index