Re: BBC Four - Digging for Britain
Dec 06, 2016, 20:22
Yay, will be watching.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Dec 06, 2016, 23:13
Judging from an aerial shot at the end of the programme there's going to be a crannog dig featured next week.
tomatoman
118 posts

Dec 07, 2016, 15:21
Good start to the new series. Much sharper style than previous. Looking forward to next week's episode from Northern Britain.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Dec 13, 2016, 22:30
I definitely agree that this series is sharper and has gone up a notch. Tonights was the most enjoyable one I've seen, and the Hebridean crannog dig indeed revelatory, textbook rewriting stuff. I must confess to developing quite a 'thing' about them. If they now date back to 2800BC I also wonder, given the huge amount of effort taken to construct - one example tonight being composed of 1500 tons of boulders deposited by canoe - and continued security offered, whether there are some where a dig may reveal continued occupancy over millennia. Perhaps, given silting over time, the earliest may now be on dry land, rendering excavation easier. Who knows, there may even be some incorrecly identified as mounds or cairns.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 13, 2016, 23:38
Some of Barlockhart crannog is on dry land and has been excavated . Unfortunately some preservation would have been better had it remained underwater .
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Dec 14, 2016, 03:53
I've noted one or two on the map Wigtownshire way entirely on land..wonder what date pottery might be found after seeing the programme. Hope to get to these in '17, should've this last Oct but for health circs. Btw, assuming you report your rock art finds, who to? Do you have a specific contact at RCAHMS/HS or whatever it wants to call itself? The website didn't seem very forthcoming re notification of finds last time I looked. I guess the Stewartry Museum'll be my alternative..one or two nice things to report, plus, sadly, site damage : (
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 14, 2016, 12:50
One of the richest areas for dry land crannogs is eastern Loch Awe , approx 10-12 .

Stewarty Museum or contact : [email protected] .
might be easier /more appropriate .
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Dec 14, 2016, 13:29
Cheers. I asked at Stranraer Museum, so I know the name of the person to contact at Stewartry. Thanks for reaffirming.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Dec 20, 2016, 20:57
It's that time again...
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index