Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
YAC

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CARL
511 posts

YAC
Oct 08, 2016, 21:19
Dafydd, Sophie and myself attended this months YAC meeting today and had a talk from a member of the museum staff on Bronze Age pottery. We were shown examples of he different styles of pot and the patterns used. We were then given clay to make our own pots and experimented with different types of 'temper' - grit / sand / hay. We eventually made our pots which will now be fired in a kiln in time for our next meeting next month. Assuming they survive we will be given a further talk about recent research into the colouring used on Bronze Age pots before we colour our own creations. It was a great way to spend a Saturday morning with the family - educational and fun. I will let you know how we get on next month. Did the pots survive? What will we use to colour them? Looking forward to it! I can highly recommend the YAC to children of all ages!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2016, 23:11
Re: YAC
Oct 08, 2016, 23:08
That sounds like fun, Carl. I've always loved messing about with clay. I hope your pot makes it :)

You reminded me that I'd found a weird sherd on a walk the other day so I'm just trying to find out what it might be (definitely not prehistoric I'm sure) and I found these sheets
http://leicsfieldworkers.co.uk/fieldwalking/pottery-identification/
which I guess are mostly useful to that region but the flint guide might be interesting to people. People are always asking about flints are they not and I guess they don't vary so much as regional pottery styles.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Oct 12, 2016, 08:04
CARL wrote:
Dafydd, Sophie and myself attended this months YAC meeting today. I can highly recommend the YAC to children of all ages!

Just don't give YAC your email address or they'll put you on their email-group list. Then any members on that list can and will send you all sorts of emails and links. You have been warned.
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Oct 12, 2016, 10:34
Whereas you'll let any lunatic here click on your name for your email address!?!?!?!
CARL
511 posts

Nov 12, 2016, 21:06
I am pleased to report the pots survived the kiln and following an interesting talk on Bronze Age pottery we set about coloring our creations. We used pigments and red ochre. This was the first time I have ever used these things and was surprised how easy they were to use and how well they painted. The pots looked good when we finished although I am not sure how authentic Sophie's 'smiley face' pot was!
We had another good meeting and I was more than happy to pay my annual family membership of £20.00 - what a bargain! :)
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index