The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Aberdeenshire

25 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ruskus
12 posts

Re: Aberdeenshire
Aug 02, 2016, 23:35
There's (too) much to see really - the more days the merrier, otherwise you're zipping around sites trying to 'collect' them a bit, and can get a bit lost, when actually they're barely a field away. I've been a couple of times in recent years, and feel I've barely scratched the surface. I live in the south east of England, so trips are pretty infrequent for obvious reasons. I'm always looking at Drewbhoy's or Les H.'s posts to keep the obsession growing.

For an in depth look at the RSC's in the area, I'd thoroughly recommended Adam Welfare's 'Great Crowns of Stone' (or at least look for an accompanying pdf which is out there to download).

I would plan a bit of a route, maybe start by heading for the biggies (Easter Aquhorthies, Loanhead of Daviot, etc, and make sure you don't miss sites which are close to other more obvious ones (e.g. the collected mass around Dunnideer, or Bennachie, etc). As suggested elsewhere, Sunhoney's great (with Midmar Kirk close by). They're pretty much everywhere!

But, of course, take time to soak up the sites!

I'm jealous. Enjoy!

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index