16 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: "The Secret Lore of London"
Mar 29, 2016, 22:38
carol27 wrote:
It's a strange word " occult"; like " sinister" original meaning left handed or unlucky (bloody Romans); I, of course, take that personally:). It's so long since I've been to London; I used to go to Vauxhall a fair bit to stay with some squatting punk friends & had a blast, but the last time I was there most people I encountered seemed stressed, though that was probably just me. Anyway I'm blathering; the book sounds good. I'm trying to educate myself with some of the writing mentioned on here. I've become a bit intrigued with the Phil Rickman Merrily Watkins novels though lately; as mentioned by Moss on her blog. Thankyou Moss:)
What set me off thinking about London was the London Stone; there must be so much there, hidden away.

If you want a paperback Carol, there are a couple lurking on the bottom of my bookshelf, my email is here somewhere; I would be happy to post one. I just love that creepy balance between paganism and the church that Rickman evokes, I'm sure he plumbs TMA for stories as well. He lives on the edge between Herefordshire and mystical Wales.

And then as we are in London there is also the talking head of Bran. King Arthur who made appearances all over Britain, and has even been mentioned in Scotland (briefly) fighting a battle I think ;)

"According to the Welsh Triads, Brân's head was buried in London where the White Tower now stands. As long as it remained there, Britain would be safe from invasion. However, King Arthur dug up the head, declaring the country would be protected only by his great strength. There have been attempts in modern times to link the still-current practice of keeping ravens at the Tower of London under the care of Yeomen Warder Ravenmaster with this story of Brân, whose name means Raven"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%A2n_the_Blessed

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index