"The Secret Lore of London"

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

"The Secret Lore of London"
Mar 29, 2016, 18:34
I purchased The Secret Lore of London over the weekend and thought I'd mention here under London rather than add it to the too long 'book thread'. Anyone who lives/lived in, or has connections with, London will love it although I'll be the first to say its probably not for those only interested in evidence based archaeology. Description on back cover says "London is an ancient city, whose foundation dates back literally thousands of years into legendary prehistory. Not surprisingly, it has accumulated a large number of stories, both historic and mythical, during that period, many of which, though faithfully at the time, have lain almost forgotten in dusty libraries throughout the city."
I'm finding it fascinating.

Edited by John Matthews and Caroline Wise, its chapters are written by contributors such as Nigel Pennick.
Price £14.99 (less on Amazon)
ISBN 978-1-473-62024-7
carol27
747 posts

Re: "The Secret Lore of London"
Mar 29, 2016, 18:42
tjj wrote:
I purchased The Secret Lore of London over the weekend and thought I'd mention here under London rather than add it to the too long 'book thread'. Anyone who lives/lived in, or has connections with, London will love it although I'll be the first to say its probably not for those only interested in evidence based archaeology. Description on back cover says "London is an ancient city, whose foundation dates back literally thousands of years into legendary prehistory. Not surprisingly, it has accumulated a large number of stories, both historic and mythical, during that period, many of which, though faithfully at the time, have lain almost forgotten in dusty libraries throughout the city."

Edited by John Matthews and Caroline Wise, its chapters are written by contributors such as Nigel Pennick.
ISBN 978-1-473-62024-7

I've been thinking about London & what must be "buried beneath" for a while now; with my very limited knowledge. It's been a focal point for so long, with major uphauling & construction. I was watching the Cross Rail new underground excavations & there was so much there.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2016, 19:00
Mar 29, 2016, 18:57
carol27 wrote:

I've been thinking about London & what must be "buried beneath" for a while now; with my very limited knowledge. It's been a focal point for so long, with major uphauling & construction. I was watching the Cross Rail new underground excavations & there was so much there.

I agree Carol, hopefully much archaeology yet to be discovered and to learn from. Unsurprisingly The Secret Lore of London travels into occult territory. I first met Caroline Wise (one of the editors) many years ago when she worked in Skoob Books, an occult book shop near the British Museum - and found her again on Facebook. Back then, I was alarmed by anything under the heading of 'occult' until it dawned on me that it just means 'hidden'.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2016, 19:59
Mar 29, 2016, 19:57
London is an amazing City. Our archeology is huge. More than in the countryside. People lived here and still do, and you will find things in London which you will never expect. Anthropology did not develop in the countryside.

It's in Cities.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Mar 29, 2016, 20:09
tjj wrote:

ISBN 978-1-473-62024-7

Thanks.

I'll look into it. Looks like a fascinating read.
carol27
747 posts

Mar 29, 2016, 20:42
It's a strange word " occult"; like " sinister" original meaning left handed or unlucky (bloody Romans); I, of course, take that personally:). It's so long since I've been to London; I used to go to Vauxhall a fair bit to stay with some squatting punk friends & had a blast, but the last time I was there most people I encountered seemed stressed, though that was probably just me. Anyway I'm blathering; the book sounds good. I'm trying to educate myself with some of the writing mentioned on here. I've become a bit intrigued with the Phil Rickman Merrily Watkins novels though lately; as mentioned by Moss on her blog. Thankyou Moss:)
What set me off thinking about London was the London Stone; there must be so much there, hidden away.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2016, 21:07
Mar 29, 2016, 21:01
Like this fella. And he did really exist! Not like King Arthur, who didn't.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=william+wallace+statue+london&biw=1600&bih=767&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX1dX31ubLAhVJtRoKHUvyCpIQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=IX-nq4aYmcGYjM%3A
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Mar 29, 2016, 21:49
Markoid wrote:
... this fella... he did really exist! Not like King Arthur, who didn't.

Yes he did. King Arthur just didn't live at Tintagel or fight at Cadbury Castle. You wont find him in those Southern English places. They were awash with German speaking, sauerkraut munching, leiderhosen-wearing folks who were totally getting into the whole being Angles and Saxons thing. They loved it. You'll have to look a bit further North to find King Arthur.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 29, 2016, 22:00
Markoid wrote:
Like this fella. And he did really exist! Not like King Arthur, who didn't.

Shock horror, go wash you mouth out!

The tour company I rode shotgun for down the far west of Cornywall made their bread and butter convincing Joe Public he was for real and would throw you off the top of Tintagel Island for saying that! :-)
It was rather embarrassing for me as the tourists would ask me and I would direct them back to the driver. I was there to show them around the real antiquities not to manufacture a story up!! Didn't go down too well :-)
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2016, 22:05
Mar 29, 2016, 22:00
Howburn Digger wrote:
Markoid wrote:
... this fella... he did really exist! Not like King Arthur, who didn't.

Yes he did. King Arthur just didn't live at Tintagel or fight at Cadbury Castle. You wont find him in those Southern English places. They were awash with German speaking, sauerkraut munching, leiderhosen-wearing folks who were totally getting into the whole being Angles and Saxons thing. They loved it. You'll have to look a bit further North to find King Arthur.

A mythical figure, not based on non-reality reality. That's why we have gods, and godesseses, like Shiva.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index