Cumbria »
Cumbrian sites

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ironstone
62 posts

Cumbrian sites
Dec 01, 2015, 14:08
In the book 'Circles Of Stone' (Max Milligan/Aubrey Burl) there's an entry about a pair of rings called 'White Moss' with a not-brilliant photo showing what looks like a pair of small rings described in the text as 'in poor condition'. It talks about another pair at Low Longrigg a quarter of a mile to the north and 'the fine Brats Hill stone circle, with its similarity to Castlerigg' only 120 yards to the east. I can't find any mention of these either in the TMA book or on this site but can see them plainly on the OS map near footpaths running north from the Beckfoot Bridge stop on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, a walk of perhaps 2/3 miles though I'm notoriously bad at judging distances when looking at winding footpaths on OS maps. Has anyone out there visited these circles and, if so, can they tell me about ease of access, whether they're worth the effort etc? Are they in fact on TMA but under different names? I'm thinking of a Lake District trip in the spring and would love to include these.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Dec 01, 2015, 15:40
Re: Cumbrian sites
Dec 01, 2015, 15:29
Just find the entry for the nearest TMA site, use the 'sites within 20km' doodah, which has compass directions as well as distances, map, ruler, bingo. One 'hit' should get the rest if they're already on TMA, inc TMA names.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Dec 01, 2015, 15:30
ooh I think they're here tucked away in their own folder, which is probably why you couldn't spot them
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3010/burn_moor_complex.html
It's a long time since I've been to Cumbria but I remember being impressed by Black Combe. We stayed at Wastwater and drove over that insanely steep pass. Not so far away. Hope you have fun.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Dec 01, 2015, 19:46
Bit of a steep climb up from Boot - or so I thought at the time - but well worth the effort since great scenery as well. Liked them much more than the great lowland circles (except Sunkenkirk), to be honest.
ironstone
62 posts

Dec 02, 2015, 09:16
Brilliant, thanks Rhiannon; one day I reckon I'll get the hang of this website. I know the road well having visited Hardknott Fort a couple of times so I'll definitely be approaching from Ravenglass rather than over the pass. Can't wait to go now....
ironstone
62 posts

Dec 02, 2015, 10:16
Yes, having looked at the map again I can see that Boot's a better starting-point; I presume the climb can't be any steeper than the one up to The Druids' Circle above Penmaenmawr?
GLADMAN
950 posts

Dec 02, 2015, 23:11
ironstone wrote:
Yes, having looked at the map again I can see that Boot's a better starting-point; I presume the climb can't be any steeper than the one up to The Druids' Circle above Penmaenmawr?

No, I wouldn't say so. Not a problem for someone like you.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 02, 2015, 23:54
...provided you don't overindulge yourself beforehand at the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway's excellent cafe : )
baza
baza
1308 posts

Dec 04, 2015, 12:16
Boot is the better place to start from, but parking can be tricky unless you park in the Boot Inn carpark. They usually don't mind.

The path starts off very steep and becomes less severe as you go along. The bridleway is indistinct after the ruined buildings, it's much better to take the path marked in a black dotted line on the OS map from hereabouts.
The Eternal
924 posts

Dec 13, 2015, 21:38
Hi ironstone,

The Burnmoor complex is quite widespread and as the stones aren't all that tall it can be hard to find amongst the long wild moorland grasses, unless you are adept with map and compass. There are tracks that lead there, but are just flattened bog grasses and peaty erosion. Unfortunately, just to confuse issues, lots of other similar tracks criss-cross the area. Hopefully, you will be blessed with a beautiful spring day and the larks will be singing up in the blue. However, once found never forgotten. It's a remote place with lots of atmosphere, especially on a day of storm, mist and rain.

If you are staying in the area there are plenty of good campsites in Eskdale and good pubs serving real ales and great food. I can particularly recommend the very friendly Boot Inn (formerly the Burnmoor Inn), the equally friendly Woolpack and Hardknott Bar, as well as the Bower House. The Woolpack will help with transport if you are struggling to get from Ravenglass. They're like that in the valley.

If you need any more info, feel free to ask.

All the best,.
TE.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index