Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Help needed identifying mystery feature, and who to report finds to - Galloway

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Help needed identifying mystery feature, and who to report finds to - Galloway
Nov 05, 2015, 16:02
(I had to look contiguous up in the dictionary :) ) No. very regularily spaced...those responsible either had a knowledge of geometry, a good eye or both. My initial thought when there was that it was the mapped out foundations of a cairn - but would they have done so with such precision? I discounted an eroded cairn as there is a Galloway dyke nearby of, I'm sure, similar or at least great antiquity which has stood the ravages of time very well. There is no trace of soil or rubble having been cleared or naturally moved from the site. I've subsequently veered towards discounting a cairn, completed or not, as I thought they were more 'skyline' features whereas what I've found is tucked away with an outcrop/hillock/fort at its back (E) and would as far as I could tell, had it been completed, been invisible from seawards (W) being set back from a high cliff. A site for looking up or out from, not to. If folk here know of secluded cairns then fair enough, but, like I said, no debris whatsoever. Beyond me.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Help needed identifying mystery feature, and who to report finds to - Galloway
Nov 05, 2015, 16:23
Difficult to photograph without access to trees , drones etc but this might help as an example of the architecture of many monuments in (almost ) plan view
http://canmore.org.uk/site/26380/sketewan?display=image
The excavtion report is in psas .
If you don't know what it is and there is no "not known" or "possible " qualifier choice, and you have to make one ,maybe just make it up then amend at a later date .

Is the site near Crummag visible on GE? .
If so got the co-ordinates ?

I'll be nearer to D&G than you but it still takes 3 and half hours driving to get there ,so it's not a regular visiting area . It'll take HD a wee while too .
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Nov 05, 2015, 16:31
Nope.. three rings...does that make it a 'triple concentric'? The stones are like stepping stones, only in turf not water. Whatever it is it's got me beat (not that that takes much archaeologywise)
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Nov 12, 2015, 20:53
tiompan wrote:

I'll be nearer to D&G than you but it still takes 3 and half hours driving to get there ,so it's not a regular visiting area . It'll take HD a wee while too .

I'm 2 hours from Newton Stewart and know my Galloway, short-cuts, routes and roads well. Day trips are hard in the Winter months due to such short days, though Galloway skies are big and have great light
Just spent a week in Gatehouse of Fleet a few weeks back and just down in D&G last weekend for some Salmon fishing on the Urr (the water was too high - and rising!). I'll be close by Wren's Egg and Nest when I whip out my rod and air my flies on the Bladnoch in a week or two. Happy to check out anything in The Machars/ Wigtown Peninsula (Newton Stewart - Whithorn - Glen Luce Triangle). The Rhins and New Luce/ Barrrhill/ Ballantrae triangle will probably have to wait for Spring and more light in the day as it is a musch lenthier trip. But I'd be fascinated to hear more details and see some pics.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Nov 13, 2015, 00:02
Cheers. Would like to take you up on that. I'm doing a bit more browsing, and have no wish to 'wind up' or make fanciful suggestions, but when you see my fieldnotes and pix, plus the backup aerial shots I've found on the net, I don't think you'll find a run down the Mull a wasted trip. Ditto Wren's Egg. Very soon - I'm trying to sort my end of year accounts at the moment too. I will be as detailed as possible. Have a look at the unmarked mound by Terally stone as well if you've time. You've no idea how frustrating it is not being able to get back till sometime next year - I'm kicking myself that I didn't check out some things at the South Rhins sites.. I was on a timer, moving from the North Rhins to camp at Port William the following day, and had a further three sites I wanted to do that evening. Had I seen the aerial shots at the time then I'd have dropped anchor, full stop. And packed some canes and a tape measure.... If you're sufficiently intrigued by the stuff I'm going to upload when you see it I'm fine with exchanging pms. I just hope my tech issues enable pix as well as detailed blurb and aerial pic links - though the latter are good enough on their own, and Wren's Egg can be examined by reference to enlargements of pre-existing TMA images, so the worse case scenario is an absence of closeups. It's amazing what you may stumble upon if you venture a bit further away from known sites and fieldwalk...
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index