Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: The Celts BBC2
Oct 07, 2015, 23:35
Sin Agog wrote:
Did you ever watch the '80s doc series of the same name? It was quite a magical and evocative experience if memory serves- like a Celtic version of Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It's up on youtube so I think I'll watch it again now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i72wvqk0tbE

I have started watching this online - the first episode opens about Hallstatt. I do remember what I was doing in 1986 and if I'm honest I would not have had an interest back then. Its never too late to learn though - I will work my way through all six episodes. Many thanks.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Oct 08, 2015, 07:10
Yes, I thought it was a very good piece.

My impression from reading it was that her criticism was not so much about the lack of depth, more about the (over) reliance on Roman "histories" over the last 25 years of archaeological evidence, which struck me too.

I didn't pick up on the dotting about from period to period, but once it's pointed out I'm not sure why the producers decided to do that. A bit like making a program about the Tudors and occasionally throwing in information about the English Civil War.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2015, 07:42
Oct 08, 2015, 07:41
I must watch it.

Re. her piece, I agree that focusing almost entirely on men was not a good idea, especially considering the general equality of females in ancient Celtic society, and as for the never ending tiresome argument about Celtic identity, in my view it really is purely a case of a shared cultural framework. You could posit exactly the same argument in what defines Englishness, being American etc. A tedious ego spat for boffins.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Oct 13, 2015, 20:04
thesweetcheat wrote:

Next week will presumably feature Asterix (hopefully).

Watched it earlier and yes, very Asterix. Also graphically described the vicious, cruelty of war - some things don't change.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index