Nine Ladies of Stanton Moor »
Now someone has carved graffiti

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Now someone has carved graffiti
Sep 01, 2015, 22:57
EmmaA posted some photos of yet more damage to the nine ladies on the peak district prehistory group. I've shoved them up on here. Some total wanker has carved into the fallen stone in the circle, probably today as she saw it at 6ish and there were people there all weekend who would have seen it and reported it.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Re: Now someone has carved graffiti
Sep 02, 2015, 07:09
This is so sad. Why are people such morons?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 13:13
I had a message from Mark at the Historic England Heritage Crime Team to say that the damage was reported to Derbyshire Police in July (assuming it's the same damage).
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 13:18
thesweetcheat wrote:
I had a message from Mark at the Historic England Heritage Crime Team to say that the damage was reported to Derbyshire Police in July (assuming it's the same damage).

I dont think its the same damage tbh. I'll ask on a couple of groups.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 18:57
Yeah, does look like the same damage (fortunately?) though some of it may have been recarved/deepened :(
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Sep 06, 2015, 01:17
No matter how much we care you'll always have those that think they own the place cos they spent 3 years up there off their heads on brew to protect it.
In their minds they won the war so can now do with the place whatever they feel.

I'd happily see it removed to a museum atm I'm so fucked off with the whole episode.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Sep 06, 2015, 04:40
I've a huge sentimental attachment to the place... visits with my late Dad, my earliest interest in archaeology. Lots of memories... I decided I was never going back after the paint episode. Now this latest defilement. So angry and upset. Arseholes and bastards.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Sep 06, 2015, 07:45
It's awful. But the King's Stone has graffiti on it going back a lot longer than the 90s I think (and look at the graffiti at Robin Hood's Stride). It seems there's always been some who feel the need to tag everything.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 06, 2015, 08:24
harestonesdown wrote:
No matter how much we care you'll always have those that think they own the place cos they spent 3 years up there off their heads on brew to protect it.
In their minds they won the war so can now do with the place whatever they feel.

Can you clarify? I know the tree dwellers weren't all perfect but the result was good and they had their hearts in the right place. Why would you think some of them have done this damage?
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Sep 06, 2015, 11:42
Yeah, I know tagging in some form or another's always gone on, but my memories go back to the '60's when I was a kid ... the place was pretty pristine and you had to look for it. Any undesireables used to head for the Reform Tower, the visible landmark, then. It's a tossup whether this was my first site or Stonehenge, but it was certainly the first where I felt I could commune with the past in solitude, apart from Dad, and for this reason a raw nerve now. I'm hopefully back up to Galloway in a fortnight for a short annual break, health, weather, missus and work willing, my need to find somewhere respected and 'other's suddenly been increased..... : (
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index