Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Horizon, First Britons, BBC2, Wednesday

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
common era
865 posts

Horizon, First Britons, BBC2, Wednesday
Aug 19, 2015, 09:35
Looks like this could be an interesting programme to tune into, attempting to dispel the myth that the stone-age settlers of ancient Britain were simple folk, living a brutal hand-to-mouth existence:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0675hcv

First Britons is on BBC Two at 20:00 on Wednesday 19 August.

More info here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33963372
CARL
511 posts

Re: Horizon, First Britons, BBC2, Wednesday
Aug 19, 2015, 13:07
Sounds good - that's this evening sorted then! :)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Aug 19, 2015, 16:52
CARL wrote:
Sounds good - that's this evening sorted then! :)

Ditto!

Plus the third part of the Bettany Hughes 'Genius of the Ancient World' (BBC4: 9.00pm) - which is very good indeed.
CARL
511 posts

Aug 19, 2015, 21:23
Just finished watching the prog. I thought it was very good. I don't think it was a huge surprise to discover the ancients were more sophisticated than had previously been thought. As time goes on we will probably find they were even more advanced. All in all, well worth a watch.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2015, 08:28
Aug 19, 2015, 22:39
CARL wrote:
Just finished watching the prog. I thought it was very good. I don't think it was a huge surprise to discover the ancients were more sophisticated than had previously been thought. As time goes on we will probably find they were even more advanced. All in all, well worth a watch.

Yes, it drew together the work of dedicated archaeologists over the past decade. I thought it was very good too and will watch it again soon as have recorded it.

I do also recommend Bettany Hughes's three part series which tonight was about Confucius. I enjoyed watching Bettany appear to effortlessly pursue her own scholarly yet accessible style of presentation. Apparently Confucius had little time for women.

Edited.
common era
865 posts

Aug 20, 2015, 09:57
Thought overall is was a good programme too. I don't really believe that any archaeologist or scientist working in this are ever believed the first Britons were simple backward folk, which was the premise for the programme, as the knowledge and technology required to survive in those days was always apparent.

I had hoped it would talk a bit more about their day to day lives rather than focussing on the climactic changes and devastating events of the era, but overall it was a good insight with some very nice graphics that illustrated the points that were made.

Great job BBC!
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Aug 21, 2015, 04:25
Yup, well done Beeb, saw the repeat. I thought it was more geared towards those who were not necessarily greatly aware of current archaeological hot topics such as Doggerland: an intro. In no way a criticism. A very good lucid and informative example of the type, and I'd readily watch it again if I could...no access to iPlayer, alas. O/T or tangentally, the one scary bit was the mention of the Norway-origined tsunami that swept down the east coast. One day that could, or will, happen again, as will the La Palma/Azores one south of us. Iirc there is evidence of Cornwall being inundated in past millennia, probably from the latter source, a far earlier and larger event than the Severn estuary tsunami of the c17/(18?). All those centres of population and nuclear power stations by the sea here and in France vulnerable to both... (sorry, in doomy mood)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jul 09, 2018, 16:56
This has been back on recently and is on the BBC iPlayer for a few more days.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index