The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Anglezarke Moor Group »
Hut Circles?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Global
2 posts

Hut Circles?
Jul 30, 2015, 15:28
Greetings- does anyone out there know if any hut circles have ever been identified in this area?

Regards...
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Hut Circles?
Jul 30, 2015, 18:02
Nothing shows up on Pastscape (accessed via Heritage Gateway) apart from a possible boundary ditch and a "ring bank" of uncertain status:

http://pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1539525

http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/advanced_search.aspx
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jul 30, 2015, 18:52
I keep meaning to go back to find the ring bank again. that could have been from a hut circle, or a possible ring cairn I guess.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jul 30, 2015, 18:53
Global have you read the archaeological survey of anglezarke? Drop me a mail at my address on my profile and I'll forward you a copy.
LivingRocks
35 posts

Aug 01, 2015, 20:43
Do you have any more info on that Ring Bank, I took a look around yesterday in the area around the given GPS but didn’t find anything that I’m really confident is it, lots of stones coming through in eroded areas etc, but the only mineral soil I could find was in the gullies & was underneath the peat.

I have the 1996 Survey of the Anglezarke Uplands by Christine Howard Davies from the Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society, is this the survey that you are referring to, or is there another?
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 11:07
Sorry about the delay, I thought it was posted to me, but discovered it in an email this morning (summer holidays etc got in the way of searching). I have two docs:
Anglezarke and Rivington Moors - Archaeological Survey 1986 - published in March 1992 by Lancaster Uni (J Quartermaine) - This seems to have most of the SMR for the area included.
The other doc is the proceedings article you mention.

Email me on the address on my profile if interested and I'll forward them to you.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index