Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: The Sun and the Serpent
Jan 16, 2017, 09:18
Great period piece .

And fruitful ground for the old problem of how dowsers manage to debate when there is a disagreement
about what is being “discovered”. Their dowsed energy line differs from Ley line ,so how do they discuss that problem with those who believe that they have dowsed the Ley , but failed to find their line . Does it all become amicable and and both agree that their findings are correct ? Or do they argue about their differing claims and it becomes a numbers game , how many agree with our findings /beliefs ? I imagine the former .
It could go on forever with others “discovering “ lines unnoticed by the previous “researchers “ , who is to say who is right or wrong ? It is entirely subjective .
Prior to the book how many have dowsed the Hurlers and come up with a totally different response i.e. the “energy” does go to the third , but again I imagine that since the book more dowsers have “discovered” that the third is avoided . Stopped laughing so gave up , might watch a bit more later .
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jan 16, 2017, 12:33
Don't judge me but I rather liked 'the sun and the serpent' when I read it. It does feeds into that very English romantic glastonbury thing but also a 90s environmental gaia-ish view of the landscape, that it's maybe got some ability to fight back against all the crap we humans dish out. It's also nice because if you know somewhere on the line near to you, it makes you want to visit other places along it. Which can't be bad for swelling the ranks of tmaists.

But on the other hand it is about ley lines.

Ah this Christmas we went to a party and it was 'secret santa' time. I got a bottle of booze. But my poor OH, someone had deliberately got him a pair of dowsing rods from Avebury (ie bent copper pipes). He looked very disappointed but tried to hide it. Most people in the room seemed to have some innate belief they would work, curiously. But they were overwhelmingly artists and musicians, maybe they'd never demanded a scientific explanation of why they would or wouldn't work.

I don't live far from the purported line. Perhaps I should go out and take the copper pipes.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 16, 2017, 13:34
Rhiannon wrote:
Don't judge me but I rather liked 'the sun and the serpent' when I read it. It does feeds into that very English romantic glastonbury thing but also a 90s environmental gaia-ish view of the landscape, that it's maybe got some ability to fight back against all the crap we humans dish out. It's also nice because if you know somewhere on the line near to you, it makes you want to visit other places along it. Which can't be bad for swelling the ranks of tmaists.

But on the other hand it is about ley lines.

Ah this Christmas we went to a party and it was 'secret santa' time. I got a bottle of booze. But my poor OH, someone had deliberately got him a pair of dowsing rods from Avebury (ie bent copper pipes). He looked very disappointed but tried to hide it. Most people in the room seemed to have some innate belief they would work, curiously. But they were overwhelmingly artists and musicians, maybe they'd never demanded a scientific explanation of why they would or wouldn't work.

I don't live far from the purported line. Perhaps I should go out and take the copper pipes.

I wouldn't be judgemental Rhiannon ,whether I agreed or not .

The time when it came out is an interesting one ,the period in “earth energy “ beliefs where it had finally struck home that the supposedly straight Belinus Ley line wasn't quite what had been suggested of it i.e. it didn't actually go through the sites it was supposed to , in a straight line .It took some time for this to be accepted by those who had made the claim for it's straightness and association with the sites and dowsers who had claimed that they had dowsed the line were shown to be have been deluded .
Realising that that the straightness could be demonstrated objectively and any associated dowsing claims rebutted they came up with the ideal solution by avoiding anything that be tested objectively ,hence wavy lines between the sites and purely subjective “discoveries” . supposedly straight Belinus Ley line wasn't quite what had been suggested of it i.e. it didn't actually go through the sites it was supposed to , in a straight line .It took some time for this to be accepted by those who had made the claim for it's straightness and association with the sites and dowsers who had claimed that they had dowsed the line were shown to be have been deluded .
Realising that that the straightness could be demonstrated objectively and any associated dowsing claims rebutted they came up with the ideal solution by avoiding anything that be tested objectively ,hence wavy lines between the sites and purely subjective “discoveries” and why they are avoiding using the L word in the film .

Do borrow the OH 's rods , they will "work" , they nearly always do , then comes the interpretation . Maybe you will find a fourth line very close to ,but not quite the as the other three , or maybe they will" confirm " one of the other three or maybe ....
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 16, 2017, 13:57
Oh dear Rhiannon! I think your account has been hacked.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2017, 14:22
Jan 16, 2017, 14:08
"they came up with the ideal solution by avoiding anything that be tested objectively ,hence wavy lines between the sites and purely subjective “discoveries” "

excellently put.

Also I didn't realise / remember that they avoided the 'L' word, which is interesting.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jan 16, 2017, 14:21
June, you are awful :) It's a difficult path trying to believe in fairies and rationality at the same time don't you know.

Science is good though. I was watching 'The Sky at Night' the other day and it's amazing what clever human beings are discovering, eg. the Gaia satellite has been taking images of our Milky Way galaxy and it has 50% more stars than we previously thought! how crazy is that. Plus there are some stars moving in a funny direction which suggests we've already collided and merged with another galaxy. Amazing stuff which ironically keeps your feet on the ground.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 16, 2017, 14:31
Rhiannon wrote:
June, you are awful :) It's a difficult path trying to believe in fairies and rationality at the same time don't you know.

Some of us have problems with both .
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 16, 2017, 14:39
I was only teasing Rhiannon. I love the magic of fairy stories and the other worldly feeling you get in certain places and at dawn and dusk. I know our whole planet with all its human-made problems is just a tiny speck in the universe.

Talking of 'magic' - had a bit of a sofa day yesterday fighting off flu bug. Watched the movie Paddington. A talking, reading, writing bear - I believed him (for ninety minutes anyway).
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 16, 2017, 15:19
Good reply Rhiannon, I held my pen, and thought if anyone goes down the dowsing argument I will do my undemocratic act of closing the thread;) My story had the analogy of a Catholic missionary going off to indoctrinate the poor heathen savages on some benighted island, us of course, but then those poor heathens trotted off to the 'Tree of Wisdom' and plucked the wicked fruit and imbibed of its fruit and quite liked the taste.
Long live the fairies, and those that can't follow a straight leyline..
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 16, 2017, 15:55
Moss, the film was primarily about dowsing , and how it adapted to the embarrassing setbacks of the Belinus / Ley line fiasco . What else was there to comment on ? I suppose there was a subtext about the vanity of "occult "powers derived from divinatory practice but it was too funny to consider that .
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index