Calling Kammer Re Belas Knap

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Calling Kammer Re Belas Knap
Jul 01, 2015, 22:38
Hiya

Just thought I would pop my head round and say hello.

I am planning a trip round Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire this Saturday taking in the Hawk Stone, Hetty Peglar's Tump, Soldiers Grave etc. I really want to see Belas Knap again ( its about 15 years since my last visit). I am a bit worried about access the steep hill walk though the words is likely to be impossible for one of my group who has some health problems but I was wondering about the path Kammer described in his post from August 2002 specifically is it easy in terms of terrain, distance and time needed?
I would be most grateful if Kammer or indeed anyone who has taken this route could help.

Cheers
All the best

Joolio
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re: Calling Kammer Re Belas Knap
Jul 01, 2015, 22:52
There's a more level approach from the southwest via Wontley Farm although it would be a longer walk. You can park either on the top of Cleeve Hill near the masts or to the south near Wardens Wood.

The track past Wontley Farm can get muddy in winter and spring, but certainly won't be at the moment!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jul 01, 2015, 22:57
It's 1.9 miles from the Cleeve Hill masts carpark or 1.6 from the southern parking area. It's a bit uphill near the farm, but nothing like the gradient walking up from Winchcombe way.
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Jul 01, 2015, 23:09
thesweetcheat wrote:
It's 1.9 miles from the Cleeve Hill masts carpark or 1.6 from the southern parking area. It's a bit uphill near the farm, but nothing like the gradient walking up from Winchcombe way.

Thats brilliant thank you, that might work for us.

Cheers for the swift response.

Joolio
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jul 01, 2015, 23:14
You're welcome, hope you have a great day :)
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Jul 01, 2015, 23:23
Aye hopefully - don't get out as often as I would like to these days - family life and all that - :-)
But it looks a good day out in good company.

Not sure if my itinerary is a bit on the ambitious side though. We will see.

Joolio
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index