Tappoch Broch, Scotland.

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Clash
5 posts

Edited May 29, 2015, 18:15
Tappoch Broch, Scotland.
May 29, 2015, 18:01
Hi I would like to say hello and this is my first post, I took a picture of what looks like a incised carving found near the entrance of the broch, does anyone have any clues to what it is or is it just natural..... Plus if you tilt your head to the left and look at it, it looks different.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7788/18049475278_4c755f4041_c.jpg

Full size can be viewed here https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenfitzpatrick/18049475278/sizes/o/

Thanks Ken
thelonious
330 posts

Re: Tappoch Broch, Scotland.
May 29, 2015, 20:02
Hi Clash

Canmore mention a carving at the end of the entrance passage. Don't know if it's the same one.

"There is a complex carving on a recumbent stone slab at the end of the entrance passage, immediately inside the broch. The carving is of a bar, 19cm long, 9cm wide at one end, and a figure of eight at the other."

http://canmore.org.uk/site/47004/torwood-tappoch-broch

Looks a nice broch.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

May 30, 2015, 10:14
That looks like a wee bit of carving there. Well spotted!
There are two bits of carving noted on Canmore "slab, 13.0cm in diameter, sculptured with three concentric rings, ... five stones into the stair lobby from the inner face of the broch" and "complex carving on a recumbent stone slab at the end of the entrance passage, immediately inside the broch. The carving is of a bar, 19cm long, 9cm wide at one end, and a figure of eight at the other".

The carving you have found and shown in your photograph doesn't seem to fit either of those. Let RCHMS know and keep going with this. Well done!
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

May 30, 2015, 13:52
Welcome! Stick around : )
Clash
5 posts

Edited May 30, 2015, 20:30
May 30, 2015, 20:27
Hi thx, i contacted the Falkirk Museum two days ago to question a carving I found at Torwood Castle, but it turns out it was the masons mark, when I asked if he knew of the carving at the Broch and told him its location within it he said no, he asked if I could go back and take a pic, so I will send it to him Monday when I ring him up and ask for his email, I will post what he reckons it is here. cheers for now Ken.

Heres my full set of the broch...https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenfitzpatrick/sets/72157652152856136
Clash
5 posts

Jun 02, 2015, 18:25
Hi all, this is the reply that I have been given today...

Quote " The carving is quite primitive – executed using pecked lines, as we might expect from the Bronze Age (or a modern amateur).

From memory it is the design that has been previously reported, though your photo suggests that the carving is more extensive.

I’ll get back to you when I find out more.
All the best, Geoff, Keeper of Archaeology & Local History " Unquote
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Jun 02, 2015, 19:49
Nice one. A good result. Welcome to TMA. I hope you keep looking and finding stuff. And posting on here about it of course! Orrabest!
Clash
5 posts

Jun 03, 2015, 22:49
Hi the historian from Falkirk says he is gonna go up and have a look, I measured the carving today, its 4 inches by 2 inches ( 10cm x 5cm) so does not seem to be same measurements as what has already been mentioned of 19cm x 9cm on the recumbent stone slab of Canmore.
Clash
5 posts

Jun 04, 2015, 12:11
Hi, the historian went up last night and this is his reply to me via email this morning....

Quote "Ken,
I took a stroll up to the broch at 9pm last night and found the carved stone.

It is located on the outermost stone of the entrance passage on the east side. The carving is quite small and neat and reasonably executed.

It would certainly have been noticed during the original discovery and excavation of the broch in 1864 and I’m pretty certain that it is of recent origin. It looks like a monogram composed of the letters C E (or R) and A. All the best," Unquote

Cheers Ken
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 11:26
Oh well, it was worth investigating anyway.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index