Rural British strangeness in books, music + films

30 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
747 posts

Edited Apr 12, 2015, 18:22
Re: Rural British strangeness in books, music + films
Apr 12, 2015, 18:19
MR James" Oh whistle & I'll come to you my lad" was adapted by Johnathon Miller for the BBC starring Michael Horden, called" Whistle & I'll come to you " & it's excellent. MR James's supernatural entities are only glimpsed from the corner of the eye with the reader's imagination conjuring up the actual figure. They are the creepiest stories I've ever read. In our household, circumstances permitting, we read them on Christmas Eve in the candlelight; even the cynical youngsters enjoy this custom. Some of his stories were adapted and are available on the BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas dvd. The landscape features strongly in "oh whistle..." "A Warning to the Curious" "A View from a Hill" (as tjj mentioned) "The Ash Tree" and others.
Then there is, of course, "the Children of the Stones", which proper spooked me as a young girl & which I still love now.
Trees, hills, stones and water cast shadows, and shimmer and sway, whisper and creak; and to me stand sentinel over us in a powerful, sustaining watchfulness.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index