Rural British strangeness in books, music + films

30 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ruskus
12 posts

Re: Rural British strangeness in books, music + films
Apr 11, 2015, 12:47
Thanks for this great piece.

I've definitely have noticed over the years how some of these touchstones of the eerie, including ones mentioned here (such as MR James, HP Lovecraft, These New Puritans, Stanley Donwood,etc), have linked up across my range of interests. Something about the unknown, unsettling, or the melancholic.
As a kid I was fascinated by Susan Cooper's the Dark is Rising, Box of Delights (it still gives my shivers watching it now), even Herne the Hunter on Robin of Sherwood.
Growing up in Suffolk, I remember how real some of those local weird tales seemed, such as 'Black Shuck', the black hound with burning red eyes which you could never look into, and the deep paw-made cuts in the heavy wooden door at Blythburgh church, looking bleakly out across the marshes.
I live not too far from MR James' childhood home at Great Livermere in Suffolk, which gives off the most unsettling vibes, even on the brightest of days.

It's so interesting to read how others often have unusual or unexplained feelings at the ancient sites on TMA, just as possibly our ancestors may have done, in certain locations.

I'm starting to like Robert MacFarlane even more after reading this. I think his 'Old Ways' was my favourite read of last year.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index