19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: From aquabob to zawn
Mar 02, 2015, 17:26
tjj wrote:
I've already spoken on a different thread about Nan Shepherd and her little book "The Living Mountain" which is a later chapter. Also a chapter called Hunting Life where Robert Macfarlane talks about J.A. Baker's book "The Peregrine". What I like about Robert Macfarlane is the way he brings back to life writers who may have otherwise fallen into obscurity.

They might have fallen into obscurity in some parts but MacDiarmid, Marion Angus, Neil Gunn and even Violet Jacob have a lot of shelfspace in my billet. I have a nice first edition of "The Quarry Wood" I picked up for pennies in the Gatehouse Charity Shop last October. Canongate pumped out Nan Shepherd's three novels plus the poetry anthology "In The Cairngorms" as a single volume about fifteen years ago.
WH Murray wrote beautifully about walking, climbing, hiking and just "being" in Scotland's mountains and hills. His "Mountaineering In Scotland" and "Undiscovered Scotland" must be some of the most beautiful books ever written about being out in Scotland's Hill and Mountain Landscapes. They came out in a single volume published by Baton Wicks about 25 years back. Very worth seeking out.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index