Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: From aquabob to zawn
Mar 02, 2015, 20:30
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
There's been a resurgence of interest in the Baker book for some time , for years it was out of print and rare . Helen Macdonald's " H is for Hawk " is another recent successful "landscape " book that will boost it's popularity .

I was given "H is for Hawk" for Xmas - am reading it in between other books. It is not a book I want to rush, three chapters in I've learnt the difference between hawks and falcons. Her account of her father's sudden death was very moving. I also have Neil M Gunn's "Silver Bough" and of course Nan Shepherd's "The Living Mountain" to finish. On top of that I've joined a reading group at my local library which meets monthly so am finding myself reading books I wouldn't naturally select. Had to sit this month out though as it was the crime writer P.D. James - heard she is excellent but 'crime' could never inspire me.

I really enjoyed "H is for .. " good writer and great insight into falconry and much more besides ,grief etc .
Another recent read in what is consisdered to be the nature /landscape genre was "the dig " by Cynan Jones , very impressive memorable and very short , nothing to do with archaeology .
I prefer Laure to Pat and Gilou to Poirot .

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index