The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Winter Solstice Plans

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
postman
848 posts

Re: Winter Solstice Plans
Dec 16, 2014, 11:54
I shall be heading over to Hafod y gorswen, undoubtedly the least known of solstice hang outs, which is just the way I like it.
Then I shall be hunting down even littler known kerb and ring cairns.
Stonehenge ? how predictably unoriginal.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2014, 13:19
Dec 16, 2014, 13:05
nigelswift wrote:
"The solstice is traditionally celebrated at the sunrise closest to the time when the sun is stationary before beginning its transit to the north or south. This year this occurs late on 21 December, hence the winter solstice celebrations take place at sunrise on 22 December."

That's all a bit muddling. The actual solstice is at 23.03 GMT on the 21st but the traditional solstice, if you mean a traditional old Stonehenge solstice would be whatever was observable wouldn't it? Earliest sunset, latest sunrise or longest night? None would have been easily visible, i.e. measurable, but it does seem the place was designed to celebrate sunset - the earliest one presumably - which isn't on the 21st or 22nd is it? (George?)

Is EH playing along with a mistaken understanding by Druids of what the monument was most likely to have been designed to observe? Shouldn't they tell 'em to line up their beliefs with the evidence? (And save a lot of overtime payments for EH staff) ;)

And possibly cut down on the numbers by ruling out many who can't come on the Monday due to work commitments? Would it have remained as the 21st if you had to pay...he asked cynically?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 13:32
Well I know you think EH is just a money machine but personally I don't see why they shouldn't make people pay at solstice. Let's face it, because those people don't pay, we do!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 13:55
postman wrote:
I shall be heading over to Hafod y gorswen, undoubtedly the least known of solstice hang outs, which is just the way I like it.

Top man, that's a proper solstice plan.

Personally I shall be hoping the lovely virus thing I currently have recedes enough to let me outside the house, even if only to the cake shop.
postman
848 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 14:04
thesweetcheat wrote:
postman wrote:

Top man, that's a proper solstice plan.

Personally I shall be hoping the lovely virus thing I currently have recedes enough to let me outside the house, even if only to the cake shop.

Cheers matey,
A virus ay? I had one of those the other week it wasn't lovely though, I had an allergic reaction to something, first one ever, my face swelled up so you couldn't tell it was me. The kids thought it was hilarious.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 14:10
nigelswift wrote:
Well I know you think EH is just a money machine but personally I don't see why they shouldn't make people pay at solstice. Let's face it, because those people don't pay, we do!

I agree with you Nigel 100%, always have on this point.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 14:18
Ow, that sounds grim. Mine's more of a coughing-my-lungs-up, massive high temperature and generally wobbliness thing.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2014, 14:45
Dec 16, 2014, 14:44
thesweetcheat wrote:
Ow, that sounds grim. Mine's more of a coughing-my-lungs-up, massive high temperature and generally wobbliness thing.

Too many fags...sat too close to a radiator...and not enough water with it :-)
Only kidding, hope you feel better soon Alken.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Dec 16, 2014, 14:53
daveroberts45
30 posts

Dec 17, 2014, 23:02
Apologies in advance for my newness and complete ignorance about this subject. I took my sun to the summer solstice at Avebury in the summer and he is keen to attend the winter solstice at Avebury. Can anyone shed light on when this will be and what we are likely to see/experience at Avebury? EH told us to come on Sunday but this page indicates Monday morning? Are we better to come at sunrise on the Monday or another time?

Can one of you help please? My 9yr old is worried he's going to miss it!

thank you,
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index