The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Fingerem Stone »
Eds. (Site designation)

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Eds. (Site designation)
Sep 02, 2014, 23:02
I think designating this site as "cairns-destroyed" is treading on very dodgy ground. Could you take a look at my two posts there and maybe change the designation to "unknown" or similar ?
TMA Ed
615 posts

Re: Eds. (Site designation)
Sep 02, 2014, 23:47
Thanks for the post Harestonedown,

Looking at the South Yorks SMR, there's a mention of "several cairns in the vicinity, now destroyed" in the record for the Cicely Low site. But if there's nothing on the ground, nothing on the OS map and nothing to see, I think we should be deleting the site from TMA.

Is that your conclusion too, from your visit?

TMA Ed.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Sep 03, 2014, 00:08
TMA Ed wrote:
Thanks for the post Harestonedown,

Looking at the South Yorks SMR, there's a mention of "several cairns in the vicinity, now destroyed" in the record for the Cicely Low site. But if there's nothing on the ground, nothing on the OS map and nothing to see, I think we should be deleting the site from TMA.

Is that your conclusion too, from your visit?

TMA Ed.

I'd be inclined to leave it up as a site tbh, despite trawling that area several times particularly looking for this "feature"and finding nothing bar the stone in the pic i posted. It could be wonderfully decorated on the other side ! ;)

There's very little on the net in regards to it, but maybe it's a starting point/record of a former site for future reference ? I'd definitely change the designation though. Or maybe leave it a while and see what other members think ?
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Sep 03, 2014, 00:31
Forgot to add. The old descriptive text also mentions - "The circle is, as usual, incomplete, the opening pointing towards Fingerem Stone."

http://www.mocavo.com/A-Glossary-of-Words-Used-in-the-Neighbourhood-of-Sheffield-Selection-of-Local-Names-1888/841038/77#NaN

Maybe it was an outlier ?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Sep 03, 2014, 20:25
Just curious, looking at the map that's been added to the site (I do like a nice old map): Is "Harry's Stone" still there up the road a bit? And is it a particularly big or interestingly shaped stone?
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Sep 04, 2014, 00:21
thesweetcheat wrote:
Just curious, looking at the map that's been added to the site (I do like a nice old map): Is "Harry's Stone" still there up the road a bit? And is it a particularly big or interestingly shaped stone?

Stop it ! NOW.
Do you know how many hours i've also lost looking for the "Giant's chair". :D
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Sep 04, 2014, 20:32
Ha ha! Keeping you off the streets :)
stubob
stubob
308 posts

Sep 04, 2014, 20:49
Priestly's stone used to be up that way too.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Sep 05, 2014, 01:35
stubob wrote:
Priestly's stone used to be up that way too.

You're a man of too few words. :)
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index