Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Peak District Prehistory meetup 6/9/14
Aug 24, 2014, 19:54
juamei wrote:
tiompan wrote:

The content at pastscape "A Bronze Age cairn located on a slight ridge of gently shelving land on Eyam Moor. The cairn measures 13.5 metres by 12.5 metres and stands about 0.5 metres high. This example of a funerary cairn is complete except for a small trench cut into its western side. Small quarry pits to its immediate north and east indicate that the trench was likely to have been for stone procurement rather than the result of antiquarian activity. The cairn is located in a relatively isolated position, away from the main prehistoric cairnfields of Eyam Moor. There are, however, several other cairns in this part of the Moor which also stand in relatively isolated positions and this small dispersed group is interpreted as a barrow cemetery. Scheduled. " Plus satellite imagery is the same spot .What were the reasons given against the suggestion ?

Only that it wasn't well known I think. Plus a query about the position iirc. Looks like it is the one though. The aerial makes it look like a ring cairn.

It certainly looks like it has a bank ,odd that it wasn't mentioned in the report .
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Aug 27, 2014, 09:46
We have had to move the start time of this to 10.30am due to confirmed attendees no longer being able to make the later time... Scubi, hope that doesn't screw over your plans!
scubi63
463 posts

Aug 27, 2014, 18:35
No worries Jamie but I will have to see what I can sort out before I commit.
I am keen to come along as I need to get out with the camera at some point this year and somewhere different such as this would be ideal.
I will let you know nearer the time if that is ok with you.

:)
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Aug 27, 2014, 23:19
scubi63 wrote:
No worries Jamie but I will have to see what I can sort out before I commit.
I am keen to come along as I need to get out with the camera at some point this year and somewhere different such as this would be ideal.
I will let you know nearer the time if that is ok with you.

:)

No need to let us know at all mate, just drop me a message on here or elsewhere if you are coming and you want us to wait if you'll be late. :) Just named you to let you know we've changed the time!
scubi63
463 posts

Sep 05, 2014, 07:55
Job commitments mean I just won't be able to get there in time. Which is a disappointment as I was looking forward to it.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Sep 05, 2014, 08:11
scubi63 wrote:
Job commitments mean I just won't be able to get there in time. Which is a disappointment as I was looking forward to it.

What a shame! Will you be at the megameet the week after?
Also we'll be doing another at the start of November, possibly a picnic type thing with smaller walks on Stanton Moor...
scubi63
463 posts

Sep 06, 2014, 16:54
I am still hopeful for next week and have some time off so fingers crossed...again!
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Sep 07, 2014, 08:56
Well an on the ground inspection reveals the records seem to be wrong. Rather than a quarried single mound, we think its much more likely to be a ring cairn with a trashed central mound. The spoil from that mound filling some of the space between the bank and whats left of the mound, thus making it seem like a quarried mound. Whats reported as a trench, looks more like an entrance (and is due west from the centre). There also seem to be some possible stones from an inner kerb / embanked circle.

Its currently in a massive burnt patch so is clearer than its been in years I imagine. I recommend anyone nearby gets up to have a look at what could be a third ring cairn on Eyam moor whilst the vegetation is so low.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index