Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Adam Thorpe's Silbury Hill
Aug 18, 2014, 10:25
Just a head's up. you can probably catch it on BBCI player

Book of the Week on BBC Radio 4 this week is Adam Thorpe’s On Silbury Hill

"The novel pays personal tribute to the Neolithic monument. The base of Silbury Hill covers five acres of Wiltshire turf that has not seen the daylight for 4,300 years. Adam Thorpe has known the place since he was 13 years old. Abridged by Jill Waters. Read by Philip Franks. Broadcast daily from 9:45 – I0:00am."
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Adam Thorpe's Silbury Hill
Aug 18, 2014, 10:29
Don't know why that appeared under Northern Ireland but of course Silbury Hill resides within the chalky downs of Wiltshire. Think it's TMA not me ;)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 18, 2014, 10:41
moss wrote:
Don't know why that appeared under Northern Ireland but of course Silbury Hill resides within the chalky downs of Wiltshire. Think it's TMA not me ;)

Drinks a terrible thing to be sure to be sure! :-)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2014, 22:21
Aug 18, 2014, 22:05
moss wrote:

Was out walking across Waden Hill today, Silbury against a backdrop of haystacks and yellow fields. Listened to the Book of the Week programme this evening, very much 'in the mood'.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 07:35
Evergreen Dazed put the book on TMA earlier this month,

http://littletoller.co.uk/bookshop/monographs/on-silbury-hill/

p.s. Thanks to the TMA person behind the scene who corrected the thread title.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 09:09
moss wrote:
Evergreen Dazed put the book on TMA earlier this month,

http://littletoller.co.uk/bookshop/monographs/on-silbury-hill/

p.s. Thanks to the TMA person behind the scene who corrected the thread title.

Do you know of any Reviews of it Moss, other than any the publishers provided?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 10:18
Hi Roy, It is what I would call a 'personal reflection' book, judging from the first two readings, here is a taste of The Guardian review....

"And then there is On Silbury Hill's earnest hippy sensibility. "I have always been susceptible to the tofu-knitting, yoghurt-weaving world," writes Thorpe, and so it proves. It's impossible to take seriously a narrative that includes both a teenage fantasy in which he imagined he was a Neolithic man returning from a hunting trip in the forest ("my woman running out to greet me with her lovely ripe smell of unwashed flesh") and an irony-free description of his adventures in hypnosis"

The reviewer is slightly damning in her summing up, if you have ever read Macfarlane, then this new 'landscape' book follows in the same drift..
I like them as a matter of fact, and "landscapism" is just a new genre..

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/20/on-silbury-hill-adam-thorpe-review
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 19, 2014, 12:16
moss wrote:
Hi Roy, It is what I would call a 'personal reflection' book, judging from the first two readings, here is a taste of The Guardian review....

"And then there is On Silbury Hill's earnest hippy sensibility. "I have always been susceptible to the tofu-knitting, yoghurt-weaving world," writes Thorpe, and so it proves. It's impossible to take seriously a narrative that includes both a teenage fantasy in which he imagined he was a Neolithic man returning from a hunting trip in the forest ("my woman running out to greet me with her lovely ripe smell of unwashed flesh") and an irony-free description of his adventures in hypnosis"

The reviewer is slightly damning in her summing up, if you have ever read Macfarlane, then this new 'landscape' book follows in the same drift..
I like them as a matter of fact, and "landscapism" is just a new genre..

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/20/on-silbury-hill-adam-thorpe-review

Thanks Moss

Yes...it's all rather 'on' Silbury Hill than into it isn't it. I was expecting another 'explanation' as to how it came about, what it was for etc, so disappointing for me it would seem.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Aug 20, 2014, 17:23
Enjoying this a lot, though listening early evening rather than in the morning. In today's episode he talks about the Marlborough Mound then veers off to Stonehenge, talking about it in some archaeological depth. The only thing that jarred was when he likened SH to Tesco as opposed to Avebury being Waitrose. I've never been given a free newspaper at Avebury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fc21r
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index