Orkney »
National Geographic magazine Aug 2014

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CARL
511 posts

National Geographic magazine Aug 2014
Aug 11, 2014, 13:10
Had a quick browse whilst at the hospital visiting my dad. What caught my eye was a photo of the Ring of Brodger on the cover. There is a 20? page article on Orkney with many (as you would expect) excellent photographs. There is also a fold-out photo of the Ness of Brodger in the middle.

All I need to do now is check down the back of the sofa to find the whopping £5.50 it costs to buy the thing!
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: National Geographic magazine Aug 2014
Aug 11, 2014, 15:31
Well here is a cheap way of seeing the rather marvellous photos ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2717788/The-Stonehenge-Breathtaking-photos-capture-stark-beauty-standing-stones-Orkney-built-thousands-years-England-s-famous-neolithic-monument.html
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 11, 2014, 17:52
Great pics ,but the captions are misleading .
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 11, 2014, 18:21
tiompan wrote:

Well it is the Daily Mail, but there is an enthusiastic archaeological element in this paper, a bit flashy with photos and lean on accuracy but it must keep the punters happy. They do their reconstruction drawings much better than any of the other papers as well;
This by the way was a 'Stonehenge Alert' practically anything in the world as long as it has the magic word in it gets coverage!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 11, 2014, 19:38
moss wrote:
tiompan wrote:

This by the way was a 'Stonehenge Alert' practically anything in the world as long as it has the magic word in it gets coverage!

Yes , there are about two a week , here's a recent Turkish one .
The trilithons are nearly identical .

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/stonehenge-of-anatolia.aspx?PageID=238&NID=70051&NewsCatID=375
CARL
511 posts

Aug 12, 2014, 08:08
Thanks Moss.
There are even more great photos in the magazine.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Aug 12, 2014, 10:31
Aug 12, 2014, 10:25
Also at £4.95, the new British Archaeology magazine is interesting this month.

Art & Architecture at the Ness of Brodgar.

Welsh Megaliths in 3D

Bluestone; Chipping Away at one of Stonehenge's last Mysteries

Have not read them in depth yet, just looked at the photos but worth the money.....
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 12, 2014, 14:42
CARL wrote:
Had a quick browse whilst at the hospital visiting my dad. What caught my eye was a photo of the Ring of Brodger on the cover. There is a 20? page article on Orkney with many (as you would expect) excellent photographs. There is also a fold-out photo of the Ness of Brodger in the middle.

All I need to do now is check down the back of the sofa to find the whopping £5.50 it costs to buy the thing!

Have they got a visitor centre up there yet? When I was there 6 years ago they didn't even have a toilet, just a rough old car park with no facilities whatsoever!
wideford
1086 posts

Aug 12, 2014, 15:08
even the wardens have to go to Stenness 'village'
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 12, 2014, 15:24
Aug 12, 2014, 15:18
Sanctuary wrote:
CARL wrote:

Have they got a visitor centre up there yet? When I was there 6 years ago they didn't even have a toilet, just a rough old car park with no facilities whatsoever!

Juxtapositioning this with the discussion on Stonehenge long may that last. A visitor's centre at the Ring of Brodgar !!! Eeek!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index