Stonehenge »
New Stonehenge experience !

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
hedgedruid
87 posts

New Stonehenge experience !
Apr 17, 2014, 19:59
Just back from a visit to Avebury and then on to Stonehenge .
I was impressed with the new situation at Stonehenge there is a much better feel about the whole area , it was wonderful to see the Heel Stone free of fencing and juggernauts everything seemed to be running smoothly with the visitor centre and land trains .
looking forward to another visit if the chance occurs , don't believe all the detractors may not be perfect but the improvements are exceptional .
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Apr 23, 2014, 10:44
Re: New Stonehenge experience !
Apr 23, 2014, 10:43
Well there is one 'experience' that is being knocked on the head, probably for the best. Closure of the public right of way....

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/salisbury/salisburynews/11164491.Meetings_over_Stonehenge_right_of_way/

'One way of closing the byway would be to put a statutory instrument through Parliament, but nothing is likely to be done until after the summer.'
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Apr 23, 2014, 11:53
You've got to wonder at the selfishness of someone turning right off the a303 into it. Must take ages due to the traffic coming the other way. Maybe a bollard or two blocking access from that direction would be a better solution that just closing it.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Apr 23, 2014, 12:27
closing it as a byway is one thing if they want to stop accidents from people turning right to drive along it (and personally i wouldn't miss people wanting to show off their 4wds along it). But you'd have to watch they're not going to be crafty and take away its right-of-wayness as a footpath and bridleway at the same time, don't you think?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 23, 2014, 13:11
Mike Pitts covers the pros and cons pretty well here http://mikepitts.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/a-quick-spin-around-stonehenge/
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 23, 2014, 13:39
Rhiannon wrote:
closing it as a byway is one thing if they want to stop accidents from people turning right to drive along it (and personally i wouldn't miss people wanting to show off their 4wds along it). But you'd have to watch they're not going to be crafty and take away its right-of-wayness as a footpath and bridleway at the same time, don't you think?

That's exactly what they will find a way to do as is the tunnel project eventually. Lack of funding, the usual excuse for them not caring for or doing anything to improve other sites, doesn't apply at SH and they won't rest until every right is taken away from us and every single person is made to pay to see it. Fine by me as I never want to visit the place again while I can visit many just as interesting sites in peace and quiet and not be told what I am looking at because of their latest 'findings' that you can guaranteed will be superseded yet again for the umpteenth time in the following year or two! As cash cow's go it reins supreme...at our expense and loss of our original rights!
moss
moss
2897 posts

Apr 23, 2014, 16:35
Rhiannon wrote:

True, a couple of boulders at the entrance would stop the cars from the A303 turning off, horse riding would be a bit dodgy anyhow around Stonehenge, especially down that track. As a public footpath it is viable of course...
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Apr 23, 2014, 17:00
moss wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

True, a couple of boulders at the entrance would stop the cars from the A303 turning off, horse riding would be a bit dodgy anyhow around Stonehenge, especially down that track. As a public footpath it is viable of course...

Interesting prog on the beeb the other night about the A303: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0116ly6
Bit of an eye opener for those of us who've never been, yes never been, to Stonehenge. Loads of other good stuff included, though I didn't watch it all.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Apr 23, 2014, 18:01
ryaner wrote:

Interesting prog on the beeb the other night about the A303: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0116ly6
Bit of an eye opener for those of us who've never been, yes never been, to Stonehenge. Loads of other good stuff included, though I didn't watch it all.

Doesn't work on BBCi Player, but try Vimeo instead, 27 minutes in approximately, the true horror of the busy A303 round Stonehenge!

http://vimeo.com/25813595
The Eternal
924 posts

Apr 27, 2014, 00:46
juamei wrote:
You've got to wonder at the selfishness of someone turning right off the a303 into it. Must take ages due to the traffic coming the other way. Maybe a bollard or two blocking access from that direction would be a better solution that just closing it.

Hi juamei,

Yes you do have to wonder, but the continual charges for parking a car anywhere are going to result in that behaviour. The charge for parking isn't the issue, it's the amount that is charged.

The charges are usually very cute in that they are worked out to the point that they know how long people are likely to be away and charge extra accordingly. i.e. in the Lake District the charges are reasonable up to 4 hours, and then they escalate.

Everyone knows that the majority of people who go onto the hills are out for at least 6 to 8 hours, so the charge is increased by double for that time.

Greedy bastards. What they don't realize is that people spend less in the pubs and shops because of the car park charges, i.e. in terms of not buying a pint after a walk. Personally, I never pay for parking, as I know of alternative places to ditch the car, but I'm not telling you buggers!

As for Stonehenge, I'll continue to find free parking or to walk in. If everyone refused to pay the extortionate prices it'd send a message.

All the best,

TE.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index