Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
432hz Tuning and stone circles

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
aaroneous g
15 posts

432hz Tuning and stone circles
Dec 23, 2013, 17:31
lots of interesting information here about natural resonance frequencies in music, but the stone circle stuff is maybe a bit of a stretch . . . interested to hear peoples thoughts about this

check it out here

http://omega432.com/432-music/the-importance-of-432hz-music
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: 432hz Tuning and stone circles
Dec 23, 2013, 18:01
What do you think ?
Fwiw I much prefer just intonation which can result in A = 432 Hz but the preference it's due to the new relationships between pitches not the actual frequency of one specific pitch .
Agree the stone circle stuff is best ignored .
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Dec 23, 2013, 20:37
I'm a strict 440 man myself.

Always have been and always will be.

There must be standards.

The closest I ever came to any dalliance with the likes of 432, 435 or 443 was when I used to sometimes drop my Telecaster into weird tunings but that was really just youthful folly and playful experimentation. I "got over it", learned to play properly and now when I look back on that period of my life I can put it down to an embarrassing adolescent phase, now best forgotten. A bit like something Morrissey would write a song about.

I understand there are always gonna be those who want to experiment but I say lets all stick to @440 or we'll all end up sounding like The Portsmouth Sinfonia... and not in in a good way.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 23, 2013, 21:20
There's really two different approaches to 432 Hz . One is simply tuning everything down 8 cents but still remaining in equal temperament so the realtionship between pitches is still the same as 440 just slightly lower , that is just a matter of taste and pretty inconvenient to others who are in 440 .
But if you have an instrument tuned to just intonation or pythagorean tuning it is possible to arrive at A being 432 Hz but with the relationship to other pitches changed . Not everyone's cup of tea but it can take the edge off some major thirds if you find them a bit "off in equal temperament . Doesn't apply to string players or singers who can sing what the feel is most appropriate as they are not forced into the tyranny of an equal tempered machine like a keyboard , or the enforced pitching of frets where bending of single notes is difficult within a chord .
Steve M
44 posts

Dec 25, 2013, 17:58
I recently interviewed Garry Kvistad, percussionist & owner of Woodstock Chimes, on this issue for a Fortean Times feature due to come out in the New Year. Garry's chimes are tuned to Just Intonation rather than Equal Temperament and the difference is amazing. Because Just Intonation is harmonic-based, his sets of chimes sound far more pleasant. In a pentatonic set - eg C, D, E, G, A, C - the harmonics of all the notes match up. Hear them at: http://www.chimes.com/
Many advocates of 432 Hz however, are barking mad. 440 Hz was NOT forcibly introduced by the Nazis as part of a New World Order plot to disable human consciousness....
Steve M
44 posts

Dec 25, 2013, 18:15
Here's a video of several sets of pentatonic Woodstock chimes all playing together. Notice there's no beating of the harmonics - that's because they're tuned in Just Intonation.

http://youtu.be/ozWQfLxy3vM
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 25, 2013, 19:11
Steve M wrote:
I recently interviewed Garry Kvistad, percussionist & owner of Woodstock Chimes, on this issue for a Fortean Times feature due to come out in the New Year. Garry's chimes are tuned to Just Intonation rather than Equal Temperament and the difference is amazing. Because Just Intonation is harmonic-based, his sets of chimes sound far more pleasant. In a pentatonic set - eg C, D, E, G, A, C - the harmonics of all the notes match up. Hear them at: http://www.chimes.com/
Many advocates of 432 Hz however, are barking mad. 440 Hz was NOT forcibly introduced by the Nazis as part of a New World Order plot to disable human consciousness....

That's the problem , the confusion between the stuff mentioned at the top of the thread i.e. "Omega 432 " which belongs to the realigned chakras and changing yer birth sign by deed poll crew and and a method of tuning that was adopted to suit machines .
You can actually have A =440 and tune from there to just intonation , which is prferable to having A at 432 and using equal temperament . A capella singers do it quite naturally with an 440 tuning fork , it's the relationship between pitches that matters .
Steve M
44 posts

Dec 25, 2013, 19:54
Garry Kvistad's tuning jokes:

Canada uses 440 Eh?

In Israel, A is 439-99
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 25, 2013, 20:15
Just seen that he has played with Steve Reich .
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index