Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Conclusions...Stone circles, are we learning much?
This topic is locked

Pages: 26 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: [Off topic]
Nov 06, 2013, 16:31
Nice to see dowsers, and archaeologists with a more open mind, working together though, as they are at present on the re-erection of Carwynnen Quoit -

“Pip Richards, archaeologist, dowser and activist, who founded The Sustainable Trust with the explicit aim of restoring this endangered leviathan [Carwynnen Quoit] to its former glory. Pip’s tireless work (this event immediately followed three exhausting days spreading the word to all and sundry at the Royal Cornwall Show), ably assisted by a host of fellow dowsers including Andy Norfolk and Bart O’Farrell, has set a chain of events in motion that, fingers crossed (he said, in the most scientific manner possible), will see the major stones back into their former sockets before too long.

“The hugely positive undercurrent of this undertaking is the way in which Pip has managed to draw together the dowsers and the archaeologists (and the archaeological dowsers) to support a common and inter-related cause to such good effect. While the British Society of Dowsers (BSD) Archaeological Dowsing Group (ADG) has made a number of inroads and friends in the profession in recent years, this is a prime example of the two disciplines working together under one banner.”

From A Megalith at the Edge of Oblivion: Dowsing-assisted rescue archaeology at Carwynnen Quoit.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 06, 2013, 16:58
Littlestone wrote:

Nice to see dowsers, and archaeologists with a more open mind, working together though, as they are at present on the re-erection of Carwynnen Quoit -

And the fact that Pip is both.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Nov 06, 2013, 17:00
It's nice to see any hobbyists working with archaeologists , but it doesn't provide any more credibility for dowsing than that of a group of spiritualists diggers would for contacting the "ancestors " .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 06, 2013, 17:09
tiompan wrote:
It's nice to see any hobbyists working with archaeologists , but it doesn't provide any more credibility for dowsing than that of a group of spiritualists diggers would for contacting the "ancestors " .

Nicely put.
jonmor
jonmor
150 posts

Re: Conclusions...Stone circles, are we learning much?
Nov 06, 2013, 17:27
"I have looked at the SH stuff via discussions and links over on the MegPortal, and I have to say I don't yet feel i've fully understood what is being presented. (My fault, not yours!) "

No worries. Back before Stonehenge, in the days when this was just about unusual solar concepts, it took me ages to get to grips with it: The patents describing why all this works (the ones that were done back in the 1970's) are very difficult to understand. Before we 'found' Stonehenge, my engineering website managed to get referenced by several solar and farming wikis, not because it was especially good, but because nobody else had attempted to explain it!

I think I've managed to make it easier to understand in the book. It's an awful lot easier when you see the scale model (of Stonehenge) working because all the explanations come together.
jonmor
jonmor
150 posts

Nov 06, 2013, 17:29
I'll write it up if they show interest George. But to make it understandable, I will need to draw up images showing what the state of play is. Without understanding the perceived problem that might lead to a treat to the community, it would be really difficult to explain how the arrangement resolves the problem: It uses pretty elegant lateral thinking.

Evidence wise, it's a bit like Stonehenge in that it matches the requirements. But in addition, the philosophy, the issues and the method of resolving it seem to be represented. To explain it first requires some extra images which allow the reader to take on a view of the world that he/she isn't familiar with.

Re-reading that, it's as clear as mud. Needs a lot of work.
jonmor
jonmor
150 posts

Nov 06, 2013, 17:32
Threat to the community. Not a treat to the community. Apologies.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2013, 18:01
Nov 06, 2013, 18:00
jonmor wrote:
I'll write it up if they show interest George. But to make it understandable, I will need to draw up images showing what the state of play is. Without understanding the perceived problem that might lead to a treat to the community, it would be really difficult to explain how the arrangement resolves the problem: It uses pretty elegant lateral thinking.

Evidence wise, it's a bit like Stonehenge in that it matches the requirements. But in addition, the philosophy, the issues and the method of resolving it seem to be represented. To explain it first requires some extra images which allow the reader to take on a view of the world that he/she isn't familiar with.

Re-reading that, it's as clear as mud. Needs a lot of work.

Hi Jon,
I can't claim to understand much of what you're saying/claiming, but admire you for sticking with it instead of drifting from one thing to another. Did your work at SH take you a long time to get to grips with and research?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Nov 06, 2013, 18:16
Jon , the difference with this case is that it has the engravings , giving it greater interest , for me at any rate .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 06, 2013, 18:48
tiompan wrote:

Credibility is something ‘believable or worthy of belief or support’. ‘Believable’ is something (correct me if I’m wrong) that you would want proof of before you could believe in it. Something ‘worthy of support’ however is different. Worthy of support can rest on many things - eg its efficacy, distribution and history of usage. Willow (bark) is a good example: it was known to relieve pain long before the active element was understood and synthesised (and aspirin was born). Ditto many herbal remedies, materials and techniques from around the world (I’ll tell you all about astringent persimmon juice if you’d like me to :-) There are early woodcuts from China showing dowsing and a mid-sixteenth century English print showing miners looking for ore deposits. Elizabeth I had miners from Germany come to England to teach dowsing to their miners.

Efficacy, distribution and history of usage does not categorically ‘prove’ that dowsing works of course but it does show that the practice has been around for a very long time, and right across the world (there are supposed to be cave paintings showing it somewhere).

Just a personal opinion, but until it can be shown categorically not to work perhaps we could keep a respectful open mind on the subject.
Pages: 26 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index