Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
aaroneous g
15 posts

Christianity invented by Romans!
Oct 10, 2013, 15:02
Wondering what everybody here thought of this:

http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm

Seems feasible to me, but since I wasn't there, he could just as easily have been an alien . . . hmmm . . .
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Oct 10, 2013, 15:27
Re: Christianity invented by Romans!
Oct 10, 2013, 15:16
Dan Brown style cobblers I'm afraid. He most likely existed. Tacitus briefly mentioned the Hebrew leader of an obscure sect who's teachings the Roman Empire later adopted and manipulated as it was gaining ground in popularity for rather less than spiritual purposes, but for socio/political/economic ones instead, increasingly so as the previously military based empire was imploding and morphed into the Roman Catholic Church. Rule and domination by the control of minds, rather than the sword. Sort of like the world's first successful corporate brand. McCatholicism. I'll have a Guilt Burger with Auto De Fries to go, please!
Mustard
1043 posts

Oct 10, 2013, 15:59
Astralcat wrote:
Dan Brown style cobblers I'm afraid. He most likely existed. Tacitus briefly mentioned the Hebrew leader of an obscure sect....

I'm inclined to believe he existed, and I agree about the "Dan Brown cobblers", but Tacitus is questionable as a source in this instance.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Oct 10, 2013, 16:09
Oct 10, 2013, 16:02
I agree about Tacitus. I was merely making the point that there is a written reference to his existence. He was a bit of a one, old Tacitus, but it wasn't all bollocks. These guys dramatised, exagerated etc, but the reference is so fleeting and unimportant that I would think that that would lend more plausibly to its authenticity. Personally, I don't buy the 'pure fiction' theory. It doesn't make any realistic historical sense at all. Future embellishments re. pre-existing pagan symbolism etc is another matter. Good marketing, basically.
Mustard
1043 posts

Oct 10, 2013, 16:04
Astralcat wrote:
I agree about Tacitus. I was merely making the point that there is a written reference to his existence. He was a bit of a one, old Tacitus, but it wasn't all bollocks.

Nowt wrong with Tacitus as a source necessarily, but there's a distinct possibility that his writings were tinkered with.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Oct 10, 2013, 16:09
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
I agree about Tacitus. I was merely making the point that there is a written reference to his existence. He was a bit of a one, old Tacitus, but it wasn't all bollocks.

Nowt wrong with Tacitus as a source necessarily, but there's a distinct possibility that his writings were tinkered with.

See edited post :-)
Mustard
1043 posts

Oct 10, 2013, 16:12
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Ordinarily, I'd agree. But then there are a number of inconsistencies in the account that also don't really add up. Ultimately, I don't think it matters that much. Modern Christianity is so far removed from anything that the historical Christ *may* have taught, it barely matters whether he actually existed or not.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Oct 10, 2013, 16:20
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Ordinarily, I'd agree. But then there are a number of inconsistencies in the account that also don't really add up. Ultimately, I don't think it matters that much. Modern Christianity is so far removed from anything that the historical Christ *may* have taught, it barely matters whether he actually existed or not.

I agree re. the legacy/history of the majority of Christianity through the ages. As for his existence ? I think so, but the message has been so perverted and distorted that in its existent form it bears very little relevance anyway.
Mustard
1043 posts

Oct 10, 2013, 16:33
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

I agree re. the legacy/history of the majority of Christianity through the ages. As for his existence ? I think so, but the message has been so perverted and distorted that in its existent form it bears very little relevance anyway.

Hmmm. We seem to totally agree. How dull! ;p
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Oct 10, 2013, 16:43
Oct 10, 2013, 16:36
aaroneous g wrote:
Wondering what everybody here thought of this:

http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm

Seems feasible to me, but since I wasn't there, he could just as easily have been an alien . . . hmmm . . .

There are some marked similarities between the early followers of Jesus and the philosophical movement of Cynicism .. quite a lot to read in link below. If you make it to the end there is a section on the influence of the Cynics on the early Christians. Do I believe Jesus actually existed as a historical figure ... yes I think I do but with a lot of myth thrown into the mix for good measure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynicism_(philosophy)

Sorry, link seems a bit tenuous.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index