Barbrook II »
Damage to Cist at Barbrook II

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Alastair Ross
11 posts

Damage to Cist at Barbrook II
May 02, 2013, 18:33
I was upon on Big Moor on Sunday morning for the non-event of a sunrise. Having skirted around the deer I went to have a look at Barbrook II. It appears that someone has "excavated" the larger of the two cists leaving a hole with what appears like a piece of glazed title at the bottom. I have a phone pic if I could post that.

Who should I be reporting this to?
Alastair Ross
11 posts

Re: Damage to Cist at Barbrook II
May 02, 2013, 18:34
title = tile
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

May 02, 2013, 19:31
http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/environment/conservation/archaeology/

It is probably worth contacting the Derbyshire county archaeologist, details on the link.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

May 03, 2013, 07:04
Also to English Heritage and the police. Juamei will be better able to direct you - here's the article he wrote:

http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/how-to-report-dumped-rubbish-or-damage-to-a-heritage-site/
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

May 03, 2013, 11:46
The police as a first port of call to ensure damage of this kind is investigated as a criminal matter, then English Heritage... I have emailed EH in Nottingham to alert them to this thread, I'll email you their address so you can send them pics!

I was up there 3 weeks ago with the family and didn't notice anything. Can you post pics up on here so I can compare with mine?
common era
865 posts

Edited May 03, 2013, 12:16
May 03, 2013, 12:13
Very sad to hear this. Barbrook II is one of my favourite places to be!

Definitely contact the Peak District National Park Authority as it comes under their remit. The person you need to contact is John Barnatt, senior survey archaeologist:

Aldern House
Baslow Road
Bakewell
Derbyshire
DE45 1AE

Tel: 01629 816 200

Email: [email protected]
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

May 03, 2013, 13:05
Weirdly, its actually EH that is responsible for the upkeep and care of Scheduled Monuments in the Peak. I assumed like you it was the Parks Authority, but my report to them about damage to Hordron's Edge circle was forwarded on to EH... I think its to do with statutory responsibilities etc...

Anyhow. Just had this back from EH:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - please assure Alastair Ross and the Modern Antiquarian community that someone will be out to Barbrook II over the next few days to have a look.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

May 03, 2013, 13:24
juamei wrote:
Just had this back from EH:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - please assure Alastair Ross and the Modern Antiquarian community that someone will be out to Barbrook II over the next few days to have a look.

Great stuff.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

May 03, 2013, 13:57
Could you please put a pic up ?
Alastair Ross
11 posts

May 03, 2013, 16:56
Hi not sure how to post the pic directly on to the thread, but heres the pic on flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/alastairross/8704131443/

You can see that stones have been turned over and that the un weathered undersides are showing - you may be able to discern the glazed tile that I mentioned.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index