Derbyshire »
Possible Unmarked Circle? Derbyshire, Birchen Edge

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Possible Unmarked Circle? Derbyshire, Birchen Edge
Apr 10, 2013, 12:04
Another similarity is that looking at the Chatsworth design makes you realise the other one isn't necessarily a cicle with a stone inside, it could well be 3 lines of 3, just like Chatsworth, it just depends how you look at it.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Apr 10, 2013, 12:29
Amberguy wrote:
I found this pic of saddle stones and support lintels for a hayrick at nearby Chatsworth (near the kids play area and pet zoo) so say 3 miles away?

Bang goes the hayrick theory as the stone shapes are nothing alike and they aren't going to change in design over such a short distance from each other

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79289196@N05/8637437216/in/photostream

Suppose another use was found for the top parts of each support, the mushroom head. Wikipedia tells me they were often made in two parts. Then the structure near chatsworth could be deconstructed, have heads taken and look a lot like the Gardom's edge one...
Amberguy
9 posts

Apr 10, 2013, 13:20
Could be, but to my eyes the usual staddle stone base tapers (like chatsworth) and they taper for a reason (to make an acute angle with the mushroom tops that vermin struggle to climb past) and the others are straight sided and fat and look easily climbed by rodents.

Yeh i agree its probably nothing nl, ba or ia but im surprised no one has come across them before, or at least this one and made a note somewhere, as its not exactly remote?

So it does show you that things can easily be overlooked, doesn't it?

Anyway thanks guys for the input, its probably IS some sort of ruined stilted building tho and like I said I'll take a closer look when I'm next up that way, as i'm into most historical things (Saxon, Norman etc).
Amberguy
9 posts

Apr 11, 2013, 01:19
Found it!, took some serious digging but its a medieval swine sty (pig sty) without its roof, age unknown but the sort of thing the nearby Swine Sty site on Big Moor gets its name from... thought you guys would of known that!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Apr 11, 2013, 07:14
You must be thinking of TMSS forum.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Apr 11, 2013, 10:33
Rhiannon wrote:
You must be thinking of TMSS forum.