Trethevy Quoit...Cornwall's Megalithic Masterpiece

Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Similarities elsewhere?
Apr 01, 2013, 20:33
I believe yes, yes, yes the missing wooden parts are what make a lot of the portal tombs look like they have stones the wrong way round, they're not it was for split logs to lay against, all these were monuments of wood and stones and nearly all excavations turns up wooden postholes somewhere, we KNOW they used wood loads but for some reason it gets ignored for the stone we can still see, i know this because i can feel where the wood was as it's energy leaves a trace over all this time, you could say i can still "see/feel it" in some strange way, anyway all these stuctures had loads of wood in there designs, and it was easily replaced at places that where in use over long periods of time, it's the wood that's gone and forgotten, you all know it's true:0p
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 20:34
bladup wrote:
The sidestones look the wrong way around on a lot of portal tombs because they had something [maybe wood] against them [and on them], therefore sealing the chambers, you see it again and the main capstones didn't seal the chambers on loads, it explains something in the design of loads that hasn't been explained, the trouble is i know what i mean but am shit at explaining it very well -one more try- the strange angle of the side stones is the hold something and seal the chamber, it's a very simple design, i hope you know what i mean [they were probably made of wood].

I think I know what your getting at .Yes sidestones can be found at steeper slopes and the same angle as the capstone and also in the opposite direction and even together (creating a shallow V ) . You get examples where there is nothing at all and that has been confirmed by excation e.g.one side of Pentre Ifan .The question is ,is anything missing ? Possibly corbelling or wood as you suggest ,allowing for the cairn to be higher without causing ingress but there must remain the possibility that is the way it was meant to be .Another common feature is that the sidestones do not meet the capstone at all and have smaller angular "windows" and gaps I doubt that they were filled with pad stones which are found in relation to back stones and doorstones but not sidestones afaik.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 20:37
Trethvy is the easily the closest to Zennor including an ante chamber stone , the one with the padstone .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 20:44
I'm just glad somebody knows what i mean, it's clearly very hard to prove and i understand because of this you couldn't believe but it's possible isn't it? you could imagine split logs in the v's and strange angles of portal tombs, it would be a lid on the chamber below the main stone capstone, it would also explain why not a lot is found in them, because once the woods rotted away it would be quite exposed under the stone capstone even if the big stone capstone did stay where it was intended, hopefully in the future they'll make a machine that will show where wood and stone once was in the past.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 20:50
So therefore you could use Zennor a little to show what's maybe right and wrong at Trethevy, i've always thought something was very wrong at trethevy, and have even thought before when looking at the way the stones seem to stand on the surface that the whole place has maybe collapsed in the past and been put back up by people giving it as best a go as they could remember [what it was like before].
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 20:51
nigelswift wrote:
I'm sure "wood" is the missing dimension and the key to greater understanding of loads of megalithic sites, especially ones that might have been in regular use - but tombs? Having taken such trouble to make them last forever, would they have used an impermanent material?

They may on occasion have used timber as you would say for an arch template Nigel. Once the construct had been formed they removed it.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 20:54
Yes it is possible . But hopefully without adding a spoiler to Roy's idea , what he suggests at Tethevy is quite different and doesn't involve wood .
Worth mentioning that the primary mortuary structure at Wyland's Smithy was a wooden box with wooden cover .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 20:56
bladup wrote:
I'm sure there's some construction term for what i've seen at Zennor, and you'd end up with 2 sealed chambers apart from their little entrance gaps, everything works a treat, and have said to you before Roy next time something brings you this way make sure you let me show you, i've always had the feeling you'll learn more about Trethevy from what i've seen, you know i'd already seen the keying points at Trethevy, Zennor and Mulfra [and of course Chun], this made me see the rest, remember Zennor turns out [if your right] to be more intact than Trethevy and therefore a pretty good blueprint for certain elements of Trethevy as well, i bet they were even built by the same group of people, i think Trethevy would also have had a facade like Zennor but it's long gone and without excavation impossible to prove.

I've not heard anyone discuss keying points on sloping stones before us Paul have you? I expect they have but I've not read of them.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 20:59
tiompan wrote:
Yes it is possible . But hopefully without adding a spoiler to Roy's idea , what he suggests at Tethevy is quite different and doesn't involve wood .
Worth mentioning that the primary mortuary structure at Wyland's Smithy was a wooden box with wooden cover .

Being a chippy by profession using timber as a former is quite natural. Remember, not all stones are earthfast so something had to support them while the construct was being fashioned.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2013, 21:04
tiompan wrote:
Trethvy is the easily the closest to Zennor including an ante chamber stone , the one with the padstone .

It's not an anti-chamber stone, it's part of the main structure. LOOK at the top of it and the straight upright edge.
Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index