VBB
558 posts

Re: Stone Circle between Avebury and Marlborough
Mar 04, 2013, 12:14
Sanctuary wrote:
VBB wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
"I'll inform my walking companion that those 'vibes' they were picking up were just a placebo effect."

I have a suspicion that there is a genuine placebo effect at work at many circles whether old or modern, arising from a pleasing proportionality.

If you erected a stone circle in a shopping centre it may well be appreciated as a pleasing haven in which people would like to eat their sandwiches or read a book.
But it has to be the right size and spacing. Yes? No?

I'd go along with that and even suggest that's why many were erected where they are in the first place because of it, not because it came afterwards.

There's nothing the builders wanted more than to get away from all those shops! Clearly why Avebury and Stonehenge weren't put up in Marlborough or Salisbury.

Quite right too...they didn't have a Tesco there at the time :-)

Pun permission granted.....

Ahhh but Tesco inscribed Stonehenge and Avebury in 1986 didn't it?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Mar 04, 2013, 12:42
Mar 04, 2013, 12:40
VBB wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
VBB wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
"I'll inform my walking companion that those 'vibes' they were picking up were just a placebo effect."

I have a suspicion that there is a genuine placebo effect at work at many circles whether old or modern, arising from a pleasing proportionality.

If you erected a stone circle in a shopping centre it may well be appreciated as a pleasing haven in which people would like to eat their sandwiches or read a book.

I'd go along with that and even suggest that's why many were erected where they are in the first place because of it, not because it came afterwards.

There's nothing the builders wanted more than to get away from all those shops! Clearly why Avebury and Stonehenge weren't put up in Marlborough or Salisbury.

Quite right too...they didn't have a Tesco there at the time :-)

Pun permission granted.....

Ahhh but Tesco inscribed Stonehenge and Avebury in 1986 didn't it?

LOL it did and I hear the new Stonehenge Visitor Centre is going to give out UNESCO Clubcard Points as well :-)
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Mar 04, 2013, 13:59
nigelswift wrote:

I'd use it, as long as there wasn't an NT tat shop along side. :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Mar 04, 2013, 20:11
Ha ha! Perhaps your friend might enjoy a visit to The Bosham Stone, plenty of vibes there.

:o)

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=67958&offset=25
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Mar 05, 2013, 11:28
On a pleasant day of Sea Trout Commando-ing and Rock Art exploration in the Gatehouse area of Galloway a while back I found this

http://goo.gl/maps/DFi7Q

On the ground it looks much more like a stone circle than the right-angle triangle which looks like from the air. It has been created (fairly recently I think) in an area which abounds in rock-art panels and rock-art carved boulders. By that I mean about a dozen RA sites within a few hundred yards.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Mibbe a bit like Stephen Patrick Morrissey... I'm not happy and I'm not sad!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 05, 2013, 14:06
nigelswift wrote:

Well you keep thinking that there's a "genuine placebo effect at work at many circles whether old or modern" and i'll know otherwise, this may be true of almost all modern ones but i can assure you it's not true of the Ancient ones, if you really think this why have such a big interest in the subject? surely it's a love of the mystery and feeling of the places [you can feel at the places all the mysterious ritual that went on for sometimes 1000's of years, lots and lots of Ritual goes on in all Ancient cultures, and it's still the reason people say churches "feel" nice even in our times].
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 05, 2013, 17:54
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Well you keep thinking that there's a "genuine placebo effect at work at many circles whether old or modern" and i'll know otherwise, this may be true of almost all modern ones but i can assure you it's not true of the Ancient ones, if you really think this why have such a big interest in the subject? surely it's a love of the mystery and feeling of the places [you can feel at the places all the mysterious ritual that went on for sometimes 1000's of years, lots and lots of Ritual goes on in all Ancient cultures, and it's still the reason people say churches "feel" nice even in our times].

I feel a fundamental divergence coming on so I'll only say a bit.....

To advise me to "keep thinking" something while you'll "know otherwise" implies you have some great gobbet of knowledge that I don't. Whereas, I rather suspect - unless you can show otherwise - that what you have is your own feelings, which you interpret as evidence of "knowing" but in fact is in exactly in the same category as the certainty of the Jehovah's Witness lady that comes to my door.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Mar 05, 2013, 18:13
Mar 05, 2013, 18:12
nigelswift wrote:
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

I feel a fundamental divergence coming on so I'll only say a bit.....

To advise me to "keep thinking" something while you'll "know otherwise" implies you have some great gobbet of knowledge that I don't. Whereas, I rather suspect - unless you can show otherwise - that what you have is your own feelings, which you interpret as evidence of "knowing" but in fact is in exactly in the same category as the certainty of the Jehovah's Witness lady that comes to my door.

At least she has faith in something, If someone stands in Stonehenge on their own and "feels" nothing, i'd say that person has no soul, This is madness - do you really think that everything people feel at these places is just Placebo? With your interest on the subject i don't think you really do, is this the self proclaimed "troublemaker" at work again?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 05, 2013, 18:51
You misunderstand (as so often) - in this case about the meaning of placebo - and consequently react (as so often) inappopriately and offensively.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 05, 2013, 19:11
nigelswift wrote:
You misunderstand (as so often) - in this case about the meaning of placebo - and consequently react (as so often) inappopriately and offensively.

"offensively"???????? you're off your head, if you think that's me been offensive you've clearly never met anyone like me, i really do know how to be offensive [my names even Blades] and that wasn't by any stretch of the imagination, you really just come across as a bitter old man by saying that everything people feel at these places is just in their heads, How do you know what I myself experience, you quite clearly know nothing about it, if it doesn't happen to you it can't be real eh , how selfish and childish, it's the way children think, i'd say grow up but it's a little late for that eh Troublemaker!!!
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index