Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: The King in the Car Park
Feb 09, 2013, 08:56
VBB wrote:
Howburn Digger wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Very illuminating HD, thank you. Obviously you have a more enlightened approach to teaching archaeology and pre-history to youngsters north of the boarder than we have south of it.

No-one is "taught" archaeology in schools here in Scotland (at least none that I am aware of). But archaeology's role in the discovery/ excavation of Skara Brae (and other examples too) is explained within the context of the History curriculum. Topics from the more recent Historical Period are more focussed on Politics, Wars etc and have no archaeological references really (though there is a little in The Voyages of Discovery/ Americas).

Perhaps we are lucky to have such an iconic example in Skara Brae as it ticks so many boxes with Prehistory, houses, settlement, tools, diet, beautiful objects etc. Kids love the topic, they get to do lots of making posters, presentations and drawings as part of it... plus Maes Howe is linked to it. The Midwinter light penetration up her chamber kinda fries their young minds nicely.

Similar good work goes on in the Study Centre at Avebury during term time especially, but also with summer schools and other groups. For those not familiar with Avebury it is a room adjacent to the Barn Gallery of the museum, available to schools and groups, and has a booking system as it is rather popular. Much the same sort of work goes on with the Young Archaeologists Club at Wiltshire Museum in Devizes, and museums often have an education officer that arranges things during the week as well as the club on a Saturday morning. There is quite a collection of work of this sort in the Alexander Keiller Museum in Avebury and add to that of course adults saying they did a project drawing Silbury or measuring stones when at school. I don't know how many young archaeologist clubs there are, how many education officers, how many schools visit these sites and for that matter how many downloads there have been of the free teachers packs for Avebury and Stonehenge, but I take it cut backs aside this is all viewed positively south of the border by those professionaly involved. There are concerns about the future of county archaeological societies as well as the storage issue and future for museums, however.

That's all good news and to be encouraged 100%. Adding to that, I wonder if the youngsters are encouraged to seek out alternative views and think for themselves because there must be a great temptation for 'teachers' to only put over accepted views which the kidz could easily take as always being fact.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index