Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: The King in the Car Park
Feb 07, 2013, 13:03
Littlestone wrote:
VBB wrote:

From TV progs to newspapers and mags, the public is bombarded with material that it gets excited about, but when it then leads to members of the public promoting their own agendas, public access to learned publications would enable engagement with secondary sources that cite primary source material that takes discussion closer to what happened in history.

In the context of archaeology (which we’re talking about here) the public is hardly ‘bombarded’ with material. Even at the height of the Time Team programmes there was not that much on television dealing with the subject. As for archaeological magazines; Brit Arch used to be available in W H Smiths (I don’t know if it still is) and I’m not sure if Current Archaeology is available other than by subscription. In other words, there’s not that much out there on archaeology with which the public can easily engage or be excited/inspired by.

I’m not sure what you mean by, “... members of the public promoting their own agendas...” Can you say more?

We gain far more information off the net these days than anywhere else other than libraries of course and very grateful for it.
Thousands of amateurs are out there every week visiting sites, photographing and studying them. Many are happy to just leave it at that, but not all. There are those like myself who don't just visit sites and walk away, but try to find out as much as we can and in doing so often find good reason not to agree with, or in part, our peers conclusions. There's nothing wrong with that but getting that point across to those entrenched in their views and 'towing the party line' almost impossible so you publish yourself and to hell with it.
It doesn't cost anyone else a bean, harm them, or affect anybody else other than give them an alternative view to consider where one wasn't offered before. Go for it I say and ignore the downers on everything if not written in an academics book.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index