Eyam Moor »
Ring Cairn/Stone Circle on Eyam Moor

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Alastair Ross
11 posts

Ring Cairn/Stone Circle on Eyam Moor
Jan 13, 2013, 18:43
Has anyone visited the site at +53° 18' 15.39", -1° 39' 47.29"/https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.304275,-1.663136&ll=53.304317,-1.662905&spn=0.002863,0.008256&num=1&t=h&z=18&iwloc=near

I haven't found any reference to it and was wondering whether it was worth a visit or not? I was up on Eyam Moor last weekend and I'm kicking myself for not spotting this before I went up.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Ring Cairn/Stone Circle on Eyam Moor
Jan 13, 2013, 19:27
Alastair Ross wrote:
Has anyone visited the site at +53° 18' 15.39", -1° 39' 47.29"/https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.304275,-1.663136&ll=53.304317,-1.662905&spn=0.002863,0.008256&num=1&t=h&z=18&iwloc=near

I haven't found any reference to it and was wondering whether it was worth a visit or not? I was up on Eyam Moor last weekend and I'm kicking myself for not spotting this before I went up.

Alastair this is the pastscape entry .
"A Bronze Age cairn located on a slight ridge of gently shelving land on Eyam Moor. The cairn measures 13.5 metres by 12.5 metres and stands about 0.5 metres high. This example of a funerary cairn is complete except for a small trench cut into its western side. Small quarry pits to its immediate north and east indicate that the trench was likely to have been for stone procurement rather than the result of antiquarian activity. The cairn is located in a relatively isolated position, away from the main prehistoric cairnfields of Eyam Moor. There are, however, several other cairns in this part of the Moor which also stand in relatively isolated positions and this small dispersed group is interpreted as a barrow cemetery. Scheduled. "
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Jan 13, 2013, 19:49
tiompan wrote:
Alastair Ross wrote:

Alastair this is the pastscape entry .
"A Bronze Age cairn located on a slight ridge of gently shelving land on Eyam Moor. The cairn measures 13.5 metres by 12.5 metres and stands about 0.5 metres high. This example of a funerary cairn is complete except for a small trench cut into its western side. Small quarry pits to its immediate north and east indicate that the trench was likely to have been for stone procurement rather than the result of antiquarian activity. The cairn is located in a relatively isolated position, away from the main prehistoric cairnfields of Eyam Moor. There are, however, several other cairns in this part of the Moor which also stand in relatively isolated positions and this small dispersed group is interpreted as a barrow cemetery. Scheduled. "

The [ring]cairn you're pointing to is at SK2254 7864, like tiompan says it's mentioned on pastscape and it's on OS maps, pastcape also says "Several tumuli on Eyam Moor were opened 1827 and 1828 when urns
and burnt bones were found" the pit in the middle looks like this was one of the opened ones, it looks like a mini wetwithens from above doesn't it, it looks worth a visit [if you can get to it].
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 13, 2013, 20:06
Anyone remember the "Roses of Eyam " .
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0476366/
Alastair Ross
11 posts

Jan 13, 2013, 20:24
Thanks everyone for getting back to me - it does indeed look like a mini Wet Withens :o)

I managed to find Eyam Moor II - which has a very deep trench in it - but not Eyam II - though I suspect I walked straight over it without noticing when I was there last weekend

I'll pay this circle a visit before the spring takes hold and report back.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Jan 13, 2013, 21:12
Jan 13, 2013, 21:02
Alastair Ross wrote:
Thanks everyone for getting back to me - it does indeed look like a mini Wet Withens :o)

I managed to find Eyam Moor II - which has a very deep trench in it - but not Eyam II - though I suspect I walked straight over it without noticing when I was there last weekend

You'll kick yourself when you find the other one, did you find Eyam Moor II? you said you did and you didn't, i guess you meant that you didn't find Eyam Moor III, as II's right by the path and III's near it but further from the path but you know when you've found it because when it was excavated they cut a section so you can see the makeup of the cairn [don't fall in], that and the few stones from it's surrounding circle and you'll know when you've found it [head for the bilberry].
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 13, 2013, 21:14
Alastair Ross wrote:

This should help you locate your "missing" one Alastair.

http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/the-eyam-moor-group.html
Alastair Ross
11 posts

Jan 13, 2013, 22:22
Doh - yes - found the one with the trench in it. And not the one right by the path #selfslap
Alastair Ross
11 posts

Jan 13, 2013, 22:24
harestonesdown wrote:
Alastair Ross wrote:

Thanks - that picture looking back to the gate posts helps a great deal.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 13, 2013, 22:30
Alastair Ross wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Alastair Ross wrote:

Thanks - that picture looking back to the gate posts helps a great deal.

Yes, i should have mentioned that in the site description, i'll go edit it.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index