295 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VBB
558 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 12, 2013, 07:30
harestonesdown wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Hmmm. An unfailingly intense and contentious topic on TMA. Whilst I don't doubt it's worthwhile posting a link to the story, I think we all know only too well how threads about climbing Silbury tend to go here.
'Famous', in fact, for it's ability to bring mayhem to this community, i'd say.

The forum has been good lately, it would be a shame for this to turn into one of 'those' threads.

Some of us think climbing Silbury is ok and will continue to do it, others don't. We never seem to get any further than that, whether Jim Leary says its causing damage or not!

Absolutely, this is nothing more than another agm for the pointless thread society.

Well I think the astonishing length of this spat free thread says otherwise, as does the unified acceptance that there is an issue with damage caused by climbing, and that that is something that can only be minimised as it is impossible to prevent 100%. What that means is that people that have climbed Silbury or are about to can be brought to recognise that there is a problem, and something needs to be done to protect the monument and get folk to act responsibly. I think many people will think again once they have the message for sure. That is all that can and should be done.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index