Stonehenge solstice phot op .

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Stonehenge solstice phot op .
Dec 12, 2012, 14:04
A photo opportunity for the winter solstice at Stonehenge showing the rising sun above the monument as seen from the site of another prehistoric monument would be from the westernmost post hole in the car park towards the centre of the monument . This may be more practical after the removal of the hedge or refurbishments or their might be a convenient gap , but the "alignmnet " is there . The two points are actually ancient monuments but no intention is suggested ,as the Mesolithic posts obviously predate the stones , it doesn't work in reverse as the posts are unlikely to ahve provided the horizon . I don’t think I have seen this mentioned previously so apologies if it has and do let me know if so .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Stonehenge solstice phot op .
Dec 12, 2012, 14:17
I'll have a look.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 12, 2012, 15:34
tiompan wrote:
A photo opportunity for the winter solstice at Stonehenge showing the rising sun above the monument as seen from the site of another prehistoric monument would be from the westernmost post hole in the car park towards the centre of the monument . This may be more practical after the removal of the hedge or refurbishments or their might be a convenient gap , but the "alignmnet " is there . The two points are actually ancient monuments but no intention is suggested ,as the Mesolithic posts obviously predate the stones , it doesn't work in reverse as the posts are unlikely to ahve provided the horizon . I don’t think I have seen this mentioned previously so apologies if it has and do let me know if so .

With the same idea in mind i.e. winter solstice "alignments " from prehistoric monuments to iconic major monument photo ops , for Silbury ; as seen from the site of the barrow at SU 0934 6913 , in the field just south of the A 4361 (pastscape monument no .1344490 , Chance may have a mention of it here ) the sun will rise over Silbury on the solstice . As the two monuments are prehistoric there could be an argument for intention , personally I wouldn't bother arguing in favour or against although what is interesting is that Silbury , which provides the horizon , is level with the more distant horizon of Huish hill. I'm pretty sure that this hasn't been mentioned previously .
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Dec 12, 2012, 15:57
I thought that the consensus for several years has been that SH was orientated on the winter solstice SUNSET. The re-birth of the "god", longer daylight hours etc. The Christian connection is pretty obvious.
Jimit.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 12, 2012, 16:11
jimit wrote:
I thought that the consensus for several years has been that SH was orientated on the winter solstice SUNSET. The re-birth of the "god", longer daylight hours etc. The Christian connection is pretty obvious.
Jimit.

Stonehenge also has a summer solstice alignment .
In this case the view is towards the monument not from it .
I mentioned that the "alignment" was a photo op and also said there was no intention suggested . It is an example of how easy it is to find spots where the sun rises or sets at solstices and equinoxes as seen over monuments particularly from spots that have no archaeology as in the case of the recent discussion re. Carickaruppara ,although in this case and in the Silbury example the viewing spots are actually genuine prehistoric sites .
rockhopper
275 posts

Dec 12, 2012, 16:39
"From spots that have no archaeology, as in the case of the recent discussion re Carrickeruppera. "
In the interests of accuracy. Quote from "A bronze age settlement and ritual centre in the Monavullagh Mountains, County Waterford, Ireland." Moore, 1995.
"Some monument types display great variety in their choice of siting, from exposed sites on the high col of carrickaruppera at 310 m OD and the summit of Cnoiceen at 265 m OD to the sheltered floor of the upper Araglin between 200 m OD and 300 m OD. These are the three extremes available at the core of the complex, and the simple cairns and ring cairns occupy all three."
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 12, 2012, 16:44
rockhopper wrote:
"From spots that have no archaeology, as in the case of the recent discussion re Carrickeruppera. "
In the interests of accuracy. Quote from "A bronze age settlement and ritual centre in the Monavullagh Mountains, County Waterford, Ireland." Moore, 1995.
"Some monument types display great variety in their choice of siting, from exposed sites on the high col of carrickaruppera at 310 m OD and the summit of Cnoiceen at 265 m OD to the sheltered floor of the upper Araglin between 200 m OD and 300 m OD. These are the three extremes available at the core of the complex, and the simple cairns and ring cairns occupy all three."

What is the archaeology found at Carrickeruppera ?
rockhopper
275 posts

Dec 12, 2012, 16:47
If you'd read Moores report you'd know would'nt you?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 12, 2012, 16:54
rockhopper wrote:
If you'd read Moores report you'd know would'nt you?

Why don't you say ?
rockhopper
275 posts

Dec 12, 2012, 17:16
I just told you, thats why.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index