Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Hillforts & Barrows
Sep 16, 2012, 17:49
Resonox wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Resonox wrote:
Just as an aside to the conversation...I was up Chanctonbury Ring today...there are several tumuli/barrow mounds around the outer limits of the "fort" boundary. ..All of an almost identical diameter...though they vary in height due to ploughing out etc. Considering how many people must have inhabited the fort during its life, why such a relatively few number of mounds....were only "important" people interred so close to the area...and if so, where did the others get buried (I am making a great assumption that these are actual graves I know).

Strangely enough..just by the triangulation stone there is a cleared area...right sized for a tumulus.......it looks like some aftermath of excavation work....this would be the highest point on the hill too. I used to have a link which transferred present day maps into "ancient" maps...and showed intersting sites etc...but have since lost this.

It may be that the majority were cremated Resonox and scattered.

So why were some afforded a lasting memorial I wonder....heads of tribes...shamanic guides...mighty warriors...wise women/men...midwifes.....??

What age are the mounds? I was assuming BA. The question of who they were is evergoing isn't it. I suppose it is natural for us to assume the higher order but who knows.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 16, 2012, 18:14
harestonesdown wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Bit of a rambling waffle, but my gut-feeling is simply that previous burials were left alone because it was viewed as either morally wrong or likely to incur the displeasure of the gods to disturb them,

To throw a spanner in the works, how would Gib Hill fit into that, with the round barrow having being built on top of the former long barrow. ?
Some may say it's enhancement, others desecration of an ancestral grave.

It is odd , but typically Bronze Age mounds were often complex sites sometimes literally built up over generations including depositions as well mound materials . They often referenced older monuments and were also often built on older neolithic and mesolithic sites , in this case it may have started off as a typical BA deposition in an older monument then taken to it's common concluson of eventual mound covering albeit on a barrow .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 16, 2012, 19:18
tiompan wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Bit of a rambling waffle, but my gut-feeling is simply that previous burials were left alone because it was viewed as either morally wrong or likely to incur the displeasure of the gods to disturb them,

To throw a spanner in the works, how would Gib Hill fit into that, with the round barrow having being built on top of the former long barrow. ?

It is odd , but typically Bronze Age mounds were often complex sites sometimes literally built up over generations including depositions as well mound materials . They often referenced older monuments and were also often built on older neolithic and mesolithic sites , in this case it may have started off as a typical BA deposition in an older monument then taken to it's common concluson of eventual mound covering albeit on a barrow .

It might seem the BA folk in that area had a particular taste for it, as there is also the barrow on the henge bank at Arbor Low.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Sep 16, 2012, 19:24
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

It might seem the BA folk in that area had a particular taste for it, as there is also the barrow on the henge bank at Arbor Low.

Twice now i've had to tell you to keep up, detention with R*man history next time.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=66595&message=843787
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 16, 2012, 19:30
harestonesdown wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Twice now i've had to tell you to keep up, detention with R*man history next time.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=66595&message=843787

Yes sir, sorry sir!
(nobody deserves to be put through an hour of roman history) :)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 16, 2012, 19:51
thesweetcheat wrote:

I think we might have a better understanding if we knew how closely the people who lived here during the monument building periods were related/descended.

That's when it gets interesting as we are just starting out on that understanding it's maybe a bit early but it certainly looks an incursion into Europe of DNA haplogroups that displaced the earlier Neolithic punters ,the archaeology supports with the same type of burials and pottery etc the limited EBA DNA (that's two TLA 's ) is the same here for the continental experience but the problem is getting British Neolithic DNA to compare it with , that will be the clincher .
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 16, 2012, 19:56
tiompan wrote:
... the problem is getting British Neolithic DNA to compare it with , that will be the clincher .

Is there material held anywhere that would be good enough for reliable testing?
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Sep 16, 2012, 19:58
thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
... the problem is getting British Neolithic DNA to compare it with , that will be the clincher .

EKLB. ?

*Runs and hides*
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 16, 2012, 20:21
thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:

I dunno , plenty from Europe , it wasn't that long since we managed to get results from cremated bone but possibly it is a case of being patient until techniques get even better .
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 16, 2012, 20:23
Patient? In these days of instant gratification? :-)

Fascinating though.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index