Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: feelings vs facts
Sep 04, 2012, 19:29
bladup wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
....Maybe the size of Silbury fools people into treating it like a natural hill, made up of solid rock with a layer of soil over it, and as old and tough as the hills.

....I think we should stop calling it a hill, and start referring to it as what it is.....a mound...

Oh no you've used the mound word!!!!

I once did that, Whilst at Marlborough college. ;)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Sep 04, 2012, 19:33
oh come now, you're getting as grumpy as me.

I'm with you TSC, I think this is the heart of tma, i.e. the reasons why we love these places and the passion with which we want to protect them, and the contradictory feelings that a visit might throw up, because we sometimes want them all to ourselves. But they're not really about that. But perhaps they are. They've got wider meaning and they've got personal meaning.

That's why the website is here at all, because of Julian Cope's personal passion for them, and he kindly continues to fund all our ranting and posting (I periodically fear he'll have enough of us all one day) - maybe because that's part of the wider meaning thing.

If that makes any sense. Which it doesn't totally. But I'm trying to get at something.

So maybe TSC meant any discussions about where to park, how old a longbarrow is, what your favourite hillfort might be, they're all kind of secondary, because that's probably not what brought you to the subject right in the first place.

dunno.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Sep 04, 2012, 19:35
bladup wrote:

Just wait until you get in the place, try to make sure you get in somehow even just once, i promise it wont let you down.

Or don't.
On one hand it's quite sterile standing behind the rope, On the other seeing 20'00 idiots crawling over it is just plain wrong.
I'll never go there again, unless it was to show someone around, And wild horses couldn't drag me there at Summer solstice.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Sep 04, 2012, 19:37
Littlestone wrote:
Sorry, you’ve lost me – you said, “...all the other TMA topics may actually be off topic.” Do you mean other threads here maybe off topic? If so why?

Well, I didn't choose my words very carefully, it's been a long day at work. I simply meant that this bit of this topic is fundamental. Lots of other topics are less fundamental. To the concept of what TMA is all about. (I'm using "topic" as interchangeable with "thread", if that's the cause of the confusion).

Perhaps it would help if you just ignored my previous post as incomprehensible nonsense? :)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 04, 2012, 19:38
thesweetcheat wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Sorry, you’ve lost me – you said, “...all the other TMA topics may actually be off topic.” Do you mean other threads here maybe off topic? If so why?

Well, I didn't choose my words very carefully, it's been a long day at work. I simply meant that this bit of this topic is fundamental. Lots of other topics are less fundamental. To the concept of what TMA is all about. (I'm using "topic" as interchangeable with "thread", if that's the cause of the confusion).

Perhaps it would help if you just ignored my previous post as incomprehensible nonsense? :)

Done.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Sep 04, 2012, 19:38
Thank goodness for you Rhiannon.

LS: What she said.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 04, 2012, 19:42
harestonesdown wrote:
bladup wrote:

Just wait until you get in the place, try to make sure you get in somehow even just once, i promise it wont let you down.

Or don't.
On one hand it's quite sterile standing behind the rope, On the other seeing 20'00 idiots crawling over it is just plain wrong.
I'll never go there again, unless it was to show someone around, And wild horses couldn't drag me there at Summer solstice.

Yes but you've done it once!! like it or not it stays in the head!!! i do not like it myself, it shouldn't be like this but they will not keep me away, which is what i think they're trying to do, tsc has never been and going in beats walking around it, hands down, it's just shitty with all the people, but i go for the place, not the people.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 04, 2012, 19:43
tomwatts wrote:
....Maybe the size of Silbury fools people into treating it like a natural hill, made up of solid rock with a layer of soil over it, and as old and tough as the hills.

....I think we should stop calling it a hill, and start referring to it as what it is.....a mound...

Cough...

“I take issue with calling Silbury a mound. It’s a structure goddamit – not a ‘mound’ or a ‘hill’ but a structure, the biggest in Europe until modern times, right here in our heartland, unique and worthy of our absolute respect.”

No-one frigging reads anything properly anymore – that’s why I despair sometimes. The ‘don’t climb’ message goes out over and over again but nothing ever gets done... jeeze...
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 04, 2012, 19:45
Littlestone wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

Cough...

“I take issue with calling Silbury a mound. It’s a structure goddamit – not a ‘mound’ or a ‘hill’ but a structure, the biggest in Europe until modern times, right here in our heartland, unique and worthy of our absolute respect.”

No-one frigging reads anything properly anymore – that’s why I despair sometimes. The ‘don’t climb’ message goes out over and over again but nothing ever gets done... jeeze...

You'll be changing your name to BigHardStone soon then?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Sep 04, 2012, 19:46
Littlestone wrote:
Cough...

Perhaps Tom didn't read that earlier post of yours, what with it being in a locked thread and all...
Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index