Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Gallaecian Update

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Gallaecian Update
May 26, 2012, 09:52
Things are finally beginning to stir in NW Iberia.

http://jlgalovart.blogspot.com.es/

Mr Galovart's spent the last few years researching equinox lines in Galician rock art and I thought it was not coincidental to see an entry in English for the first time in his blog.

Plausible or not, the orientation of designs in reference to the islands, the western sunset at different times of the year ('Here is the Land's End') and other features like prominent hills, is a Poetic Fact in itself, easy to observe on the field by anyone who cares (also not forgetting to take into consideration ancient azimuths as well as modern ones, of course). I've spent thousands of hours myself rejoicing in the great views alone from these ancient sites, without having a clue why they were put there in the first place.

But elsewhere in ancient Gallaecia, it's even better to see scores of folks cataloguing their own heritage when governments and councils stand for Absolute Worthlessness:

http://patrimoniogalego.net/index.php/indice-do-catalogo/

Choose megalithic monument or petroglyph in 'tipo de ben'.

It's also a plus to see GPS references for sites that were previously almost impossible to find. And the list keeps growing. A decade of patience has been worth it.

Well done, People.

AQ
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Re: Gallaecian Update
May 29, 2012, 22:48
I still have many photos taken during a very wet and windy week in Galicia that i would love to put on TMA...but never got to grips with adding European sites.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

May 30, 2012, 12:54
Same here, but I would need to get to grips with myself first!

Besides, there's just so much to include that one always ends up thinking - "B***er it, it can't be done properly and thoroughly".

But I know the feeling - a labyrinthine rural world of treacherous bendy roads, forested rolling hills and narrow paths overgrown by fern and brambles, all of that giving home to thousands of barrows and granite outcrops with (often eroded) rock art. Add to that the constant wind and rain for much of the year and your mood nearly collapses for good and you think this land is cursed.

That’s why, done here for the first time ever, geo-referencing everything is so useful, at least for the first stage of the journey. And also, once there, if the clouds briefly let the Sun shine on you, the whole Land brightens up and shows off. Climate change is making things more extreme and unpredictable, with messed-up seasons and longer, drier periods at any time of the year so you just have to wait for the right moment to be rewarded.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

May 31, 2012, 09:31
Hi AQ,
hope you are hale & hearty
Beautiful stuff. It makes the feet itch.

cheers
fitz
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Jun 01, 2012, 08:39
All's well, Fitz, thanks. All the best to you and yours too.
It's always a real pleasure to see you here.
Take care,
AQ
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index